• In the Spotlight:

My baby won't take a bottle!!!

I have a 4 month old and he refuses to take a bottle. I tried formula (he gagged and almost puked) and I tried my breastmilk (he just chewed on the nipple but wouldn't suck) and I tried experimenting w/ different nipples.... I thought maybe he wasn't hungry, but then I breastfed and he fed on both sides completely. I've been trying different things for a week. This isn't urgent, but I would like for him to take a bottle once in a while.... Any suggestions??

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Which nipples are you trying? Try the brown version of the Natural Latch Nipple for the Playtex Drop In System. Both my daughter and the girl I babysit are/were breastfed and they both prefer these nipples over all others. (Don't ask my why, but the clear ones are NOT okay for either of them...) Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Who's giving the bottle? If it's you, that's the problem. Hand baby to a caregiver and LEAVE.

For a nursing mom to give a bottle to baby is sort of like your grandma offering you stale store bought cookies while she's waving her best fresh-baked under your nose and saying, "You can't have them, nyah nyah nyah!"

**grin** Baby knows where the good stuff is!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Totally agree with gdiamante. my dd is 3 months and we went through it with my son as well. you have to leave, not just in another room, but actually leave the house. even if its just a walk around the block so your close by..
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 12:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• gdiamante -ditto
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would agree with gdiamante..
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 8:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2009