how do you fell about your kids calling you by your first name?

my 4 old dd is starting to call me by my first name when I don't answer her right away and it's really annoying....how do u ladies feel about this? MY fiance thinks it is hilarious!

suhweet1

Asked by suhweet1 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's funny when they're little, I won't lie...but I think it's disrespectful as they get older. I will never be one of those moms that lets my children call me by my first name like we're buddies.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• This reminds me of Dharma from Dharma and Greg....oh how I miss that show! She always called her parents by their names.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It hasn't & it won't EVER happen! It is SO disrespectful! My 2 are 18 1/2 & 20 and they better NEVER call me anything but "mama' or "mom".
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 1:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• being called mom is an honor
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 2:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My DD1 did that, and I never reprimanded her, it was just a phase and it wore off.

P.S. Renee, I LOVED Dharma and Greg! I met Jenna Elfman, she's so pretty (and WAY skinny) in person! The CEO at our old company is good friends with her!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It won't ever happen, I can tell you that. If I called my parents by their first names, I would be on the first plane to "grounded land." 4 is a little old to be doing that and still thinking it's cute IMHO. If people are laughing when she does it, she is being rewarded. You ought to explain to the other adults in your DD's life that you are the mom, you feel being called by your first name is disrespectful and that they shouldn't encourage it. Sit down with DD and explain from now on she is to call you mom and if she doesn't, she will be in trouble.

Being called mom is an honor. Tell your DD how special it makes you feel and that she should feel special too because it is a special name that just she (and her siblings) get to use to talk to you and no one else :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It does annoy me. I never call my husband by his name its always daddy, so I dont know if my son even knows his name, but my husband calls me by name and sometimes my son does too, very annoying. But....I never had a great relationship with my mom and I called her by name because I knew she hated it, now she is mom, but growing up she was Lorna
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• horrible! imagine your kid calling you by your 1st name or nickname!! grrrr... ill ask him or her .." are we related?'' lol never in my life i experience that!
    but how about stepchildren? do they really need to call you by 1st name?
    VVLia

Answer by VVLia at 3:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my oldest son, called me by my first name until he was around 4 or 5 yrs old, cause he never heard anyone call me mom, lol....i used to tell him say mom or mommy, he wouldn't..... so i just let it go, then one day, he started calling me mom, so don't worry about it, much luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I know quite a few kids who call their parents by their first names and have for a long time. The parents are fine with it. Personally I wouldn't want my own kids calling me by my first name, not because I find it disrespectful but because to me it seems as they are distancing themselves from me or acting as though they don't really know me. Mom/Mommy/Mama makes the bond we share seem so much more special. Kids call plenty of people by their first names but only one person Mom :)
    Zezette

Answer by Zezette at 4:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009