First time cereal feeding?

My daughter is 3 months old, the pediatrician said not to start any baby on cereal before 4 month of age but she is always so hungry @ night but eats normal feedings during the day, so I thought about doing her night time feeding before bed with cereal...adding a tsp of rice cereal to her 4 oz bottle. Is that enough cereal for the first time in that amount of formula? Is it okay at 3 months to do that for there bed time feeding? She just seems so hungry @ night and I think it would help her sleep longer and better if she felt her tummy was full...she has only slept a full night a few times just in the past few weeks, and when she woke, man oh man was she hungry lol & she let mommy know it! Would love to know what other mom's think! Ty

Diamondgurl08

Asked by Diamondgurl08 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's hungry then give her another bottle or nurse her more, whatever you're doing.
    DO NOT start cereal or any other solid food in order to fill her up.
    Babies have a growth spurt at 3 months and again at 6 months so it's common for them to eat more during that period of time.
    For the first year of life babies main source of nutrition should be breastmilk(or formula.) Solids are merely for tasting and testing.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my doc told me to give my daughter 1 tsp per 2 oz when she was only a month-ish so ur baby will b fine.
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 1:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Cereal tens to make babies sleep WORSE, not better. All the carbs wreak havoc on the blood sugar levels. Just feed her. At three months this is COMPLETELY normal. Go with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would hold off on cereal (actually I wouldn't use cereal at all.) Wait until 6 months and offer fruits and veggies instead. Cereal is a filler with little to no nutritional value, and can wreak havoc on the gut. I started DD on cereal at 6 months and had problems for a couple months after I stopped it.

LOs aren't supposed to sleep through the night so young. They reach sleep maturity at different ages. Your LO is completely normal :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2009