Pregnancy question, alcohol

If you drink on two different nights, and get really drunk, while you are early pregnant, will the baby still be ok? FYI I didn't know I was pegnant when I drank

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You and baby will be fine. Don't stress over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You will probably be fine. It's not the first time it's happened to anyone. I don't think things pass onto baby as easily in the first trimester. Let your doc know if you're worried.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The fact of the matter is, no one knows. Everyone and everyone's baby is different. No one knows exactly how much alcohol it takes in order to affect a fetus or if different levels affect different people and their babies differently.

According to What to Expect When You're Expecting, your dilema and concern are very common. Many women do not know that they are pregnant and drink in the early stages of pregnancy and most are fine. It's better not to worry about it because there isn't anything that you can do. There are a lot of diagnostic tools we use throughout pregnancy (tests, ultrasounds) and as you go along your doctor will be able to keep you informed about your baby's condition and that most likely, everything is just fine.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• All the above are probably correct. The fact that you are concerned about it now just proves that you will take good care of yourself...and the bun...from this point on, yes?

And again, this isn't the first time this happened to a person.
    Just let your doctor know that you drank and be honest about anything else you may be concerned about. He/she must know everything to ensure your proper treatment and you will not be judged at all. ^_^

Chances are though, you and the bun will be just fine.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Probably not but there is a chance so be sure to mention this to your doctor.

A friend of mine got COMPLETELY waisted when she was 6 weeks pregnant because she didn't know she was PG yet. Her baby is completely healthy and hasn't had any developmental delays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I do want to add that the first trimester is actually the most important time for developmment. 3-8 weeks is when most of the organs form so to say that less things get to the baby in the first trimester is not true.

But like I said it probably won't affect your baby but mention it to your doctor. He may recommend genetic testing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would think that you and your baby are probably going to be ok, but it's obviously not something you're going to want to do.

(sort of like having one big mac in your life isn't going to make you fat or give you a heart attack, but it's not something you want to make a habit of, or do if you have a heart problem, or, in this case, it's drinking and being pg...)

But, talk to your Dr about it, because they are going to know how much is "wasted", how far along you are (even if you didn't know), what your general health is, what your health history is, what the baby's dad's health history is, etc.

(btw - drugs and drinking- not saying you were using drugs - also affect a man's sperm, and some drugs can have a pretty lasting effect on it, so what a guy does before conception also affects things.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• yes you and baby will be just fine it was very early too do any harm how ever please stop now that you know it could cause harm with growth too baby and trust me you aren't the only mom too have not known they was pregnant and have a few drinks its ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the reassurance ladies. And I know it goes without saying, but I will definitely not drink again, until either I find out FOR SURE that i'm not pregnant, or until I have a baby :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009