i never though i would have to....

formula feed
my baby is only a week and 2 days old
and i never really got my milk in
the doc told me to buy a pump and pump every 3 hours for 15min
and still nothing
so iv been formula feeding
does anyone know a way ro get milk to come in if i have any????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• fenugreek
    You can get it at GNC or at GNC.com
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i was like this for a while .... i just kept pumping and would have my daughter latch on and it finally came...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• this shouldn't be in the "just for fun" category?

but I say formula is fine...both my kids did great on it...don't worry about it...just feed your baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• well you would have been having him on the boob still... if he hasnt been on your not going to make milk... its all supply and demand...usally the clostarm (sp) is enough for them until the milk comes in....

i would say just keep pumping all the time....gl BREAST IS BEST!!!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Just get your baby to latch on for a while and they will stimulate the milk glands. Remember that website LaLecheLeague if you are that strict about breastmilk.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• First - RELAX about it. I know it's easier said than done, but if you stress yourself out, afraid that you're going to "fail" at this (NOT saying that you're a failure if you don't nurse, just that some people feel they are if they don't, and that makes it harder), then that can actually make it harder and affect your milk production.

Second - keep pumping, and, more important, keep trying to nurse your baby. A baby latched on properly and suckling is going to do a much better job of stimulating milk production than pumping. Try to nurse the baby EVERY time s/he is hungry, BEFORE you give a bottle. Let your lo nurse as long as they can, both to get what milk they can and to stimulate the production. If you still need to, then you can supplement, but be careful with that, because, generally speaking, the more "demand" there is from the baby, the more milk you will produce, and the bottles will cut down on the "demand".

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• cont

Third - make sure sure sure you're properly hydrated - drink lots of water, milk, and juice. There's a tea called mothers milk, that's good, too.

Fourth, I would contact a lactation consultant - you can get a referral usually from your Dr or call the La Leche League, they will help you.

Finally, remember, while yes, it's better to nurse your baby, it is not the end all be all of what makes a good mother! I nursed both of my kids, well into toddlerhood, and I'm a SAHM. I'm a good mom. My sister used a bottle with both of hers, works full time, and, until recently, was a single mom. She, too, is a good mom. And I'm sure you will be, too!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Oh, one other thing, you might want to have a nursing consultant check to make sure your little one is latching on properly - that can also affect milk production, among other things.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Poor thing. Sometimes it takes a few days for your milk to come in, but if it doesn't then perhaps your prolactin glands are at a low level. Speaking with a breastfeeding specialist might help, and be sure to speak with your OB.
    There is nothing wrong with formula feeding - the baby has to be fed, right?
    My daughter's milk came in beautifully, but within 3 weeks she was completely dried up no matter how often she nursed and pumped. Thank goodness we saved all her extra pumped breast milk in the freezer so my granddaughter could still get some breastmilk before finally having to go on formula. My daughter feels so inadequate, but I keep telling her that it's not her fault. She really wanted it to work out for at least a year.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2009