Goldie died

Ok so my son dh and fil went on a camping trip. While DS has been away his fish died. Should I just replace it? Or let him know his fish died? Also can I flush the fish or what do I do with Goldie? He is only 5 btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Normally, if he was home when it happened, I would say tell him, in a gentle way, and let him pick out a new fish if he wants.

But, since he's so young, and he's gone, I would replace it. You don't want him getting freaked out or worried, next time he has the chance to go away, that something or someone he loves is going to die when he's gone, or anything like that.

5 yr olds can be funny about that sort of thing. Since it's not a dog or a cat or other pet that's going to be hard to find one that looks and acts the same, I think, under these circumstances, I would just delay this life lesson and buy a new fish.

btw - you can flush the dead one, or, if you want, put it in a ziplock and toss it out in the trash (the outside can).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'd flush it and buy a new one, make sure it looks the same.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• tell him about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Poor fish:( How is this "just for fun" LOL

Flush Goldie and replace him...Nobody will ever know the difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i would tell him.
    Anonymous

• Flush the fish and go and replace him with one that looks the same
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Could be a good time for a life lesson though. When our fish died, I let our daughter (who was 3) know that they had died and would not be coming back. And she was honestly okay with it. Yes she was a bit sad, but she knew they were not hurting or anything, and we did let her go and pick out some new fish herself, which she greatly enjoyed.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Ok let's pause ladies: Why would you tell him? He's 5. Why make him sad?

Here's my stand, he's so young still, why do you need to introduce death to a child that young when it is unnecessary? My mom is a preschooler teacher. They have replaced many a hamster or fish without any child knowing a thing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i would tell him so he understands, sometimes it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i agree with april... let him know, gently, then ask him if he would like to go to the store to get a new one.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009