My toddler's Sleep Issues...

My daughter is almost 20 months..She used to sleep thru the whole night perfect from age 6 weeks-12 months. Now worse than EVER..we can be out shopping for a while in the evening.. after her nap she waks up from at 3:00pm. My hubby and I were out till around 9:30pm she was OUT for the last 10 min of the car ride home. Then of coure I lay her down after changing her and she is like WIDE AWAKE. Wont let me rock her or anything. So i give her a bottle..thinking this should work.. Nope. She will say Night Night..give us a kiss we lay her down. She plays in her bed...then it gradually turns into yelling and whining to get out. When she does fal asleep..SHE ALWAYS wakes up and wants OUT of her bed throws a fit if I dont pick her up. Anyway moms...I need some help. We do have a routine...Believe it or not :S Sleep Deprived about 2 go NUTS!

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 1:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im having issues with my 26 month old as well it started when we moved 2 a new apt. She refuses 2 sleep but once she's down she stays down, when my daughter was 20 months old I had no problem getting her 2 sleep I'd give her a sippy cup w/ water lay her down and put tv on and she'd stay in bed and fall asleep but there was a few nights she'd try and fight, and on those nights I'd make sure she was still dry and had water in her cup and then I'd let her cry herself tired I know its sound mean, but if u always pick up your child every time they want to be they'll become clingy and I refuse to have my daughter be that way, I can you tell that now because I did that with her she is very independent and now doesn't like being picked up a lot, I hope I've helped alittle, if not im sorry I really tried
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 3:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'm also having issues with my 15 month old son he also used to sleep really good at night. I had a routine an all to get him to bed an now he does exactly what your daughter is doing. My sons Dr. and my Mom both said that about this age up they fight sleep because they know that your ready for them to go to bed an there not ready to. My suggestion would be if she's using a sippy cup or bottle give her a little bit of milk and lay her down check to make sure she's dry first and don't give in by picking her up. Let her play in her crib she will tire herself out and fall asleep thats what i do with my son now and it seems to work great...Hope i helped a lil bit
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 3:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'd say really emphasize the routine, and try not to break it (I know sometimes you have to be shopping till 9:30...) whenever possible. Talk through it the routine as you go... Ok, now we're picking up toys so you can have your bath, won't that be fun? (then during the bath): we'll finish in here and then brush your teeth so you can have a book afterwards. (Then as you're finishing books): no more books if you want me to sing a song. Let's sing a song and then I'll kiss you goodnight. Well, that's our routine anyway and it has been for the last 6 months. Our 21 month old has started telling us what comes next, including the part where we kiss her goodnight. She says "see you morning." and then she just talks herself to sleep and sleeps till morning. What works about this, I think, is that they're expecting everything that happens. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but that's what worked for us.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Oh and I meant to say if she does fall asleep in the car, we go ahead and do at least an abbreviated version of the routine, because she WON'T transfer and stay asleep, never has. Sometimes it makes bedtime a little later than normal, but she'll still go to sleep no problem.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Thank u guys sooo much for your answers!!
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 4:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009