How do I get my 2 year old daughter to stay in her crib at night?

I cant make my daughter stay in bed at night! It is now after 10pm, and she is still awake. I can't even count how many times she has climbed out of her crib. I am tired and I have homework to do that I should have started 2 hours ago! She has done this every night lately. I don't know what to do.

Sometimes she comes out like she is dancing, all bouncy, but sometimes she comes out like she is running and scared and she wants me

Turtle207

Asked by Turtle207 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once a child can climb out of a crib its not safe for her to be in one. Get her a big girl bed and teach her how big girls don't get out of bed until its light outside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with anon about the crib. If she can climb out then its probably a good idea to get her a toddler bed. You can teach her that she can stay up as late as she wants as long as she is in her OWN room. Every time she comes out you bring her back into her room and tell her that it is bedtime and at night we stay in our beds. Don't make a big deal of it or she will learn that she can get attention by getting out of bed. Close the door all the way behind you, make it harder for her to get out. After a few nights of doing this she should start to understand and will hopefully stay in her own room! Then, she can play until she falls asleep on her own and you can have a night of undisturbed rest (not necessarily SLEEP lol) It might help if you were to be in your room also for the first few nights, until she starts staying in her own room. If she sees you out but your telling her to go to bed then she's less likely to comply.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with the others. If you feel you aren't ready to get her a toddler bed or can't afford one at this very moment, there are crib tents that you can purchase for this very reason. It keeps them contained in their crib until you are ready for a toddler bed. Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• most cribs turn into toddler beds. they have the rail that goes along. if not look into getting a bed. Me myself I just got a twin size bed for my daughter. I didnt want to spend extra money on a lil bed that she would out grow in a year! I also put a walk through gate at her door so she wouldnt wake up and wonder around if i didnt hear her get up. She is probably getting out anddoing different acts to see which she can get your reaction to and see if she gets away with it. these lil ones are too smart!
    Dvlshly_Sweet

Answer by Dvlshly_Sweet at 1:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I also agree with the others on a transition over to a toddler bed and a strict bedtime routine, if a child does the same thing over and over again every night it makes them feel safe and secuse in there very insecure world. especially if she hasnt seen you all day, she is going to have some one on one quality time with you before bed. With my son, he has his supper and then bathtime, then we sit down on the couch and watch barney together, I read him a book and then tell him to say na-night to daddy he'll go kiss his daddy and then I bring him in his room and have him turn off the light lay him down give him a stuffed animal tell him I love him and that its time for na- nights and as I leave I say I love you again and tell him Ill see him in the morning. He goes to sleep beautifully. Not only does this enforce you to spend time with your toddler (which I know sometimes is difficult when your constantly dealing with a....
    cj_letourneau07

Answer by cj_letourneau07 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• unhappy child, now you said it took you two hours to pretty much, for lack of better wording, wresling your daughter to bed and you needed to do your homework. Now if you put asaide your homework and took those two hours prior to the "first bell" so to speak and set up a routine you will have a happier child and your homework will get done at a more efficient time. I start my routine at 6 and am done by 8 and he is in bed. This is just a tid bit of my personally expirienced advice. I just know what a difference it really made when I accually tooke two whole hours and devoted it completely (well as best as possible) to my son and making sure he knew I was gonna be there every night to keep him safe from harm.
    cj_letourneau07

Answer by cj_letourneau07 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We have a bedtime routine that we follow every night. this climbing out of bed thing is new.
    Turtle207

Answer by Turtle207 at 2:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2009