Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support, Custody, Visitation etc Question

I am in the process of establishing child support, custody, visitation, etc and I have a few questions. I know every state is different but if I could just get some insight. And if anyone has dealt with these issues in Florida--specifically South Florida, that would be great.
For the whole process, how much money am I looking into spending? I am very limited on money. Will I have to look into getting a lawyer? (Note: I wasn't married to the father, if that makes a difference) Does it cost any money to file the suit?
Also, I was talking to someone that implied that if you do it through the State rather than through the Court its different in that it doesn't cost money or something. Is there any truth to that?
And, if the man changes jobs do you have to continue modifying it every time he changes employer?

As you can see im a little lost with this. ANY insight and answers to my questions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 5 (71 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Well, the only thing i can tell you is that for the divorce, custody, guradianship for us ran us over 10,000 plus 5,000 as a retainer. ...But i live in California, which is supposed to be one of the most expensive places in the nation. ...
    But good luck!

    Answer by outstandingLove at 2:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • okay difference is true the state its about childsupport not rights to see the baby and i think that it would be cheaper to go true the state for that cause its pretty much free.. if you want to set up visits or whatever that you can file true the court.. and there is a place that you can go for legal help.. i got all the papers from the court house and did them at home and took them there to get them looked at.. now keep in mind.. for me it only took 2 months to get him on the birthcrt and get visits ect all true the court it will take somework...

    Answer by miss_nevin at 2:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • I am in Florida and 15 years ago, I went through the state and it didn't cost anything. If you get any type of state assistance they do it for free. We've never had child support modified. He still pays today what he paid 15 years ago. I don't push the issue about more child support because he buys any and everything our son needs. He has only changed jobs once in all these years and it's up to him to have the employer set it up to be taken out of his check. Just keep in mind we agreed on EVEYTHING! There was no bitterness between us so we didn't need any attorneys. We went in front of a judge, he asked how we wanted things done, we signed the papers and everything has been fine since then. If you're fighting over custody and child support, things could be different.


    Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • I live near Ocala. You can go thru the Dept. of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement Division for the child support. Or you can file on your own with the Clerk of Court. There should be an office there where you can get the paperwork. Or go to and you can download and print the forms. It also has some helpful info. You may have to pay a filing fee, up here I think it's like $50, but I believe they waive it if you sign an affidavit that you can't afford it. You do not have to modify the order every time he changes jobs. If there is an income deduction order, he is required to provide a copy of it to each new employer. You don't need a lawyer. I filed for my divorce, and have dealt with custody, visitation, and child support all w/o a lawyer. If you have more questions, let me know and I'll try to help.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 8:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.