Canned vegys?

Are these ok for baby food? Of course the ones with nothing added like salt and what not.

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 2:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would recommend fresh or just buying baby food. I think the canned veggies lose so many nutrients because of the canning process.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We didn't use baby food, our kids just ate what we ate and we just mashed it up, my dr was fine with it and told me baby food was a relatively new thing if you thought about it bc there wasn't baby food for hundreds of years, he did say to just make sure there weren't extras (like salt and pepper) and to make sure it wasn't too spicy or rich but other wise it was fine.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would recommend frozen veggies or Fresh ones... either are much better than the can ones..and IMO healthier

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i did frozen veggies- much cheaper and less (or no) nutrients are lost.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• depends on the age of the baby. I used canned beans cut up as toddler food
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I used them. I would drain them well and rinse the canning water off of them. As long as your child gets a healthy diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables when you can, you don't have to worry about the nutrients in the occasional can of veggies. (My kids liked the taste of the canned green beans totally over the taste of frozen or fresh BTW!)
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 11:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• canned green beans are a favorite of my kids. : )
    kimmykim

Answer by kimmykim at 12:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my baby loves canned greenbeans. I dont buy the low-sodiom ones either. I ate one, and they tasted like crap. So i wouldnt feed them to her if i didnt like it. Most of all my vege's come from a can. I cant afford to buy fresh veges, they are very expensive. I buy frozen ones sometimes.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son used to eat canned peas right out of the can. He thought they were the best snack ever. Now he won't touch a vegetable to save his life. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I see all these moms said they did, but please consider the less nutrients and higher sodium in canned food. Look up the information before you really do this. Its not at all the best you can do.
    Check out this link and make a good informed decision. Have fun with the baby food!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/freshfruitsoutofseason.htm
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2009