What is the worst parenting advice you have been given?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Worst advice was that I was gonna spoil my newborn by holding him. I should only hold him to feed him and that is it. I also got the advice that BFing is bad because your baby will think he is the boss and will not respect you..... yea my SIL is an idiot.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My older sister told me that I should smoke weed when I was pregnant because it would make the baby smarter??!!!!! Um, yeaaaaaaaaaa, needless to say, I don't speak to her anymore...I'm glad she doesn't have kids either...
    fairymom2316

Answer by fairymom2316 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't know anything off the top of my head, but usually anything my MIL tells me is useless;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Smoke weed!!!! We may alreay have a winner here!
    Anonymous

• My husband's aunt told me:
    --To blow cigarette smoke over a spoonful of formula to cure colic.
    --That if I didn't stop nursing when my son was one, that my nipples would be so distorted I'd need plastic surgery to fix them.

My neighbor told me that babies had fluid in their lungs and had to be left to cry to get it out or they'd have pneumonia.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If I did not breast feed my son would not be smart and would be unhealthy. I formula fed him and he is very smart in 2nd grade he is reading at a 7th grade level and his math ability is far superior to my own. He is healthy never been sick other than a common cold twice. Genetics has more to do with it than how the child is fed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• "If I did not breast feed my son would not be smart and would be unhealthy."

I do wish people would get this right...both breastfeeding advocates and those who receive the advice. It's merely risk reduction. You could breastfeed and have a dunce, you could formula feed and have the next Einstein. You are correct...genetics has much more to do with it. Breastfeeding merely compensates somewhat for genetic deficiencies.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That if I didn't let my kids CIO that I would be spoiling them.

That if I didn't circumcise (potentially since I never had a son) that I would be doing him a huge disservice and he'd be made fun of and he'd get infections and I wouldn't be able to keep his penis cleaned. And that he would have issues because he looked funny compared to daddy.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 6:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When I had my 4th child the nurse that I had the one night refused to give me a bottle for her when she started to get fussy because, and I quote, "you never feed a newborn on demand because they will get a tummy ache. They should only be fed every 4 hours."
    I was like WTF! and just stared at her with my mouth hanging open. I've had 4 kids and I had NEVER heard anyone say anything so idiotic. Instead of giving me a bottle she took the baby from me and jammed a pacifier in her mouth and then said, "see, she's not hungry she just wants to suck," and refused to give her back. I had a c-section so I couldn't move.
    Finally, after 30 minutes of arguing she gave me the baby and the bottle. The baby sucked down over an ounce and I told the nurse to never come in my room again. The pediatrician couldn't believe how insane this woman was.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Wow my jaw is still open from some of these crazy posts- especially the nurse justanotherjen had to deal with! One of my MIL's relatives advised me to "TRAIN your child to a play-yard" (btw, she had three children... I hate to be mean, but one killed himself, and the other two have been in and out of jail their whole lives). She also asked if I was going to breastfeed, and I said that of course I was. She turned to some people in the room and said, "that's the new thing".... LOL...

The BEST advice I've received however- don't pay attention to the advice people give you because every baby and every mommy is different.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009