talented son?

How can you tell if your child is gifted, extra talented, special, what ever term you want to use? I know my son measures up to most 14month olds, but I also see him doing things that just blow my hair back it's crazy. He was preemature by sixteen weeks, so the fact that he is seeming smarted then normal is so wonderful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They say that gifted children usually show signs early of being able to do things that most children their age aren't doing, like walking early, talking early, having exceptional language skills, etc.. Usually gifted children are always considered 'extra smart' by their parents from an early age, but it isn't really defined or recognized until they get into school. If you think your son is gifted, that's wonderful!! Try to give him a good start by embracing his gifts and teaching him as much as you can before he gets to school! Just make sure he loves it, you don't want to push him and have him dislike schooling as a result of it. But if he's excited about learning, then go for it! I was a gifted kid.. reading at 3.. played the violin and cello.. and I always loved learning.. still do!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yeah he loves to count already, I taught him to count to two which I originally worked on counting to three. He was fascinated with the zoo and how the animals did things at six months old. We went to a playgroup and while the other kids were screaming with one another and yelling at their parents my son was gathering the fake food and passing it out one piece to each baby and adult and then when he was done he grabbed the broom and swept the floor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Follow his lead. Work with him and teach him what he wants to know.

Unless there is extreme behavior or development, you cannot tell at this age. IQ tests given at this age are not reliable predictors of the adult IQ. Evaluations for "giftedness" are not given until 1st grade at the earliest (unless, as stated, there is an extreme)

Your son sounds a little like mine. My oldest always wanted to know how things worked. He didn't play with his toys, he turned them over and over, studying them more than anything. He now has a serious fascination with science...almost all areas. He was recently re-evaluated by the school district and in 2 years his IQ has jumped 10 points. He will be retested next year by his psychologist for that and to figure out the best way to handle his education.

He is also having trouble in preschool...he's by himself a lot because the other kids don't understand him.

Oops..out of characters
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son is like that too! before he was 18 months he could count to 9 and now he counts to 16 , he is 2 now...he knows all his colors and talks alot alot! Most people assume he is a short 4 year old! lol
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 6:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009