Pacifier and Bottle?

My sons 15 months old and the dr said its time for the pacifier and bottle to go. I've tried just giving him a sippy cup but he rejects unless he's sittin in his highchair eating and sometimes then he only wants his bottle....an if you take his pacifier away from him he screams an has a tantrum till he gets it back and it always works....can someone plz tell me the easiest way to get him off both pacifier and bottle

Litlegourd

Asked by Litlegourd at 4:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not too sure with the bottle, my sis and I are just now breaking my niece of hers and she's almost 2. As far as the pacifier.. you can start by taking it when he's not looking during the day while he plays. If he whines for it then give him a cracker or one of his favorite toys to play with. Your probably going to see a few tantrums, but if you are strong and keep telling him "the binky is not for playtime, your a big boy now, you don't need it" then soon he will calm down. I would keep it handy for nighttime tho, that's the hardest time to break them of it, and I don't really feel its necessary to do so until he's about 2. If you can get rid of it during the day, then when he's a little older you can have the 'binky fairy' come and take them all. That gives him an explanation, which is a lot more comforting than just having them disappear.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Another idea is (also when he's a little older, a 15 month old won't understand) to get him excited about being a 'big boy' and go around with him and gather up all the binky's you find and throwing them away together. Then you have a talk about all the things big kids who don't use binkys can do, and how binky's are for little boys and he's not a little boy anymore.

My only suggestion for the bottle thing is to try to do it the same way. Put what he normally drinks into a sippy instead of a bottle and just DON"T give him the bottle. We did that for my niece, and she cried for a couple of days but when it really came down to it and she was thirsty, she picked up the sippy cup and drank from it. It's a battle of wills really and you have to be the strong one and not give in. Breaking the bottle at night is a challenge too.. we haven't gotten that far yet, but we have managed to get her to take water at night instead of milk.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• thanks for the advice kristal2146 your are completely right i don't know why the dr insists on trying to take these things from him at only 15 months when he don't understand what your telling him but i will most def try what you said
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 4:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If he takes the sippy cup at all, he doesn't need the bottle. He screams and throws a fit because he knows you will give the bottle and/or the pacifier back to him if he does.

If you make the decision to finally take these things away, it's going to be harder because he will throw that fit harder and longer because it worked to get him what he wants before...and he's expecting it again.

We took the pacifier from our oldest when he was 13 months. It was all over in two days. The third day he went right to sleep without it.

Your son should be learning to talk. The bottle and pacifier not only have an effect on his teeth, they have one on his oral motor muscles and can prevent some of them from developing as well as others. A sippy and straw cup allow different muscles to work.

If the sippy isn't working go to a straw cup. And he understands a lot more than you are giving him credit for....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with TiccledBlue he understands just because he cant tell you that he does understand. i have a 15 month old myself. All i had to do was just make it disappear and if he didnt see it he didnt want it. Your child will probably throw a fit but thats because they understand if they do that u will give in. My son does that with sleeping but i have had to stick to my guns and eventually he gives up
    NycoleBenjamin

Answer by NycoleBenjamin at 7:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't know about the pacifier because neither of my children ever used one. Fot the bottles, just take them and give or throw them all away. That way you can't give in, and after a couple of days he will forget to whine for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• IT's going to hurt you a lot more thsn it's going to hurt him, but just take it away. When it was time to do this for my kids, we got them out of the house completely. That way the adults wouldn't give in. It may take a few days, but really it send the message clearly, as opposed to giving it back when you can't take the tantrum anymore, or giving it to him when he goes to bed. Too many mixed messages. make a clean break.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter was the same way with the paci. I said no more. ONLY AT BED TIME. She cried for a few days during the day but we read and played, just to get her mind off it. You can do it. As for the bottle... if they are thirsty enough they will drink out of anything. You have to be stronger... If they know they can cry for so long... they will do this the rest of their lives!! Hang in there... you can do it... so you may have a headache for a couple days but in the long run it will be done and over! Good luck!
    Dvlshly_Sweet

Answer by Dvlshly_Sweet at 1:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have to disagree with what one of the responses said... dont give him food if he starts to cry... that will start the food is a comfort thing. Do you really want that? Go for a walk or sing silly songs!
    Dvlshly_Sweet

Answer by Dvlshly_Sweet at 1:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Just take away the pacifier and don't give in. Always get down to eye level and explain to him why he can't have the pacifier. It will take a few days but he will move on. Munchkins makes a drink bottle that is brightly colored with a nipple like drink spout that doesn't leek, try this. Try taking taking away the bottle for the day and only giving him the drink bottle.
    Anonymous