Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My twin brother has brain damage due to a sugery gone wrong. How can I get guardenship over him? The person that is over him is completely incompetant.

She wants to put him in a nursing home but he is only 27 and most will not take him. I want to send him to boston with our sister because she has the best means out of all of us to take care of him. He is gettin SSI and Mediaid but there is also a lawsuit involved.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in About CafeMom

Answers (3)
  • well who is the person that has guardianship? you would mostly likely have to take them to court and fight for legal guardianship for yourself

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • You will have to go to family court and request a termination of Guardianship...
    When the time comes to appear in court or a hearing make sure that you have all documentation i.e... who wants the guardianship, why (reasons behind termination) if he is going to live in Boston soon that family member needs to be there and willing to show information ... it is going to be in the best interest of your brother...
    good luck...


    Answer by gmasboy at 10:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Perhaps asking the current guardian to hand over the guardianship would be the first step while letting them know that better accommodations can be provided under another's care. Otherwise I'd follow what gmasboy said about going the court route.

    Answer by isabellalecour at 4:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.