How do I work with a 6yr old with ADHD?

I do get mad if she do not do as I say but shit I feel she have ADHD. One Doctor told me she have ODD but she could not test her for ADHD. I need help

Mz.PhatPhat

Asked by Mz.PhatPhat at 7:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can have another dr test her, if your dr isn't willing to. As for how to work with her, my suggestions are: first, look at her diet. Cut out any processed foods (storebought cookies/cakes, boxed meals, cold cuts, frozen meals, etc.) and try to do from scratch as much as possible. For my sons(they both have adhd), the stuff they use to process and preserve foods makes them both 10 times worse. In addition, make a chart for her, with a list of everything you expect her to do, but keep it as simple as possible. For my kids, it's things like having good behavior at school, doing homework w/o complaining or taking forever, cleaning up toys/clothes/etc, taking a bath, stuff like that. For each thing she does, she gets a sticker. Count up how many stickers she can get total, and then figure out how many you want her to get to get a reward. con't....
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Figure out your timetable for earning the reward, too. For my kids, they can earn 64 stickers in a week(Mon-Sun), and if they get at least 54, they get their reward. You can't expect perfection, b/c that will only make her more resistant, b/c she'll know she can't do that, although every now and then she will, just by sheer luck, and when that happens, praise, praise, praise. Make a big deal when she does something without you asking her to, or without you asking over and over. Discipline when needed, and stick to it. They can pitch fits that last seemingly forever, but don't back down, or things will never get better. Work with her teachers. If they say they don't have a lot of problems with her, find out how they handle their classroom, and see if it's something you can do at home. Consistency and routine is key for kids with adhd. Hope that helps some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Some great answers already. I have a son with ADHD and it IS a struggle. I know exactly where you're coming from. You think "My gosh, you are 6 years old, there is NO reason you can't do this!!" But there is a reason. ADHD is hard parenting. My son was starting to have too many problems in school (3rd grade) so we had our counselor do what is called the Conners 3 test and the diagnosis is really specific. It wasn't free but $120, but it was worth it because now we know EXACTLY what he struggles with. Also we decided to medicate him through the rest of the school year so he doesn't fail.

Keep tasks simple. Simple, simple. Example.. cleaning bedroom: first go pick up clothes. Then put books away. Then put toys away. And you have to be so patient. And reward!! Lots of positive reinforcement, they need help with their self-esteem (that is what our counselor said) and when you give directions, have them repeat to you.
    Anonymous