Do your children say the pledge at school?

Also,if you are a teacher, does your class say the pledge? Please include what state you are in & if the school is public or private. As many replies as possible by afternoon would be appreciated. I'm gathering the info for a school board meeting tonight. Thanks.

mnews

Asked by mnews at 8:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, they do. We're stationed in Korea so they go to a DoDEA school.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 8:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My child is not in school yet. But before I had my son, I was a teacher in a public middle school in VT. They do say the pledge there every morning.

Though, I've gotta say, I'm not sure what good this if going to do you at a school board meeting. I'm curious what your plan or goal is here.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yes - Indiana, public school
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yes we do.... Fairfax County VA... we attend school on the post here.
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 8:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yes, I am in NC public schools. We say the pledge as it should be. My son is in the military and the students need to know what he and others like him are fighting to protect. And no, I don't have any problem with the pledge or the words "One nation under God". All religions have a supreme being they call "God". Let it mean to them what it will. I know what it means to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yes! We're in PA, and from private preschool through public elementary, all students learn and say The Pledge of Allegiance.

If the school didn't I WOULD insist on them learning and reciting it. I look at school as a "starting off point." REAL education comes from and should be reinforced at home.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Absolutely ....Tn public school
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It's optional in our school district. My husband is a teacher. He chooses not to say it. Some of his students do, some don't. It's optional. They only do it once a week. We live in Colorado.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No one can require students to say the pledge. The Supreme Court upheld this decision years ago. It is optional. I will tell my kids they can say it if they want, but they don't have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No, my daughter is 7 and goes to public school. In Kindergarten, they said it...I was told they say it at the school she is at now, but had to cut it out the teachers said they have so much to do with their new program they are following that there isn't time! I think that's BS!

But, we have a flag outside my house, we are visiting Betsy Ross house this weekend, my daughter gets books from the library all the time and she chose two about the flag last week. So we instill that at home
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009