Do I make my 2 year old daughter go to daycare?

I have stayed home with my daughter since the day she was born other than the occasional part time evening job, when she stayed with either her dad or my mom. I recently got sick and wasn't able to keep her with me during the day so we put her in daycare. She loved it at first, then she got sick and and was out for about a week and a half. Now that everyones better she wants to stay home with me. She cries at the thought of having to go. This morning was the first morning I MADE her go and I feel terrible. I know the social interactin with other children is good for her but i just don't know what to do. I would really like to find a full time job and/or go back to school I don't know what to do. Any suggestions???

lalasmom8

Asked by lalasmom8 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have been in childcare for many yrs and this is so normal. They love it at 1st when it is new and then they miss mom. She will adjust. Her being sick didnt help but that happens. I would keep her in a routine of going and staying the same hours each day.
    SharoninKy

Answer by SharoninKy at 8:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If you have to work than she doesn't have a choice, she will get used to it. I know it rips your heart out to do it but you are right, the social interaction is one of the best things a parent can do for a child, either in daycare if the parents have to work or in playgroups. I'm sure she was upset because she was home for so long with you and then home again when she was sick. The sooner you can get her on a permanent schedule the better for both her and you. Good Luck.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Just give her time to adjust and everything will be fine, my daughter used to be the same way, she would cry all the way there and after 5 minutes of playing she was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think it's fine to "make" her go. My dd was in day care from 8 weeks. Then I went on vacation for a week and she stayed home with grandma. The next two weeks she screamed and cried when I dropped her off at day care. But she got over it. (She was about 14 months. First time ever she'd faught going to day care!) Now she loves it all over again. Some times she'll fight it, but hse only cries until she sees I'm gone. She's almost two so I can tell she's just testing me. Gotta love that age. Anyhow, Chances are your daughter only cries for a few minutes then has fun. THe social interaction is great and it's going to be easier to get her used to it now rather than waiting until you have a job and *have* to do it. Then you'll feel worse and dd will pick up on it and make it that much harder on you. At least now you have the ability to go see her during the day if you need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• She is 2 and most likely gets plenty of social interaction from family and friends. She doesn't NEED daycare. If you're worried about socializing then why not set up some playdates?

This is something only you can decide. Do what feels right. If it rips your heart out sending her then maybe that's not the right choice.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think if you are not working, then she needs to be at home with you. If you decide to go back to work, then fine. I would never put my child in daycare just for social skills. You pay a high price for it. There are many other ways to get social interaction. If youre home, then she needs to be with you. I do agree with the other post about having to go. If you go back to work, then she has to go. Theres no other option, but don't force her to if she doesnt have to go. I guess my perspective is different because I am NOT a fan of daycare at all. This is just my perspective. You have to do whats best for you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
    If that was the only option then I guess I would have to but it sounds like you have other options.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• can you watch her (through a window or camera) when she thinks you have left, that could answer your?? if she gets happy and forgets about it when you go or continues to be sad... i would pull her out if she was sad all day. but if she just does it when you drop off then has fun leave her because that is normal. see if you can do an observation w.o her knowing you are there to see what really happens wiht her during the day.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about her, this is common for tots.. It's not going to hurt her, or leave a deep emotional scar lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my oldest went through that. it only lasted a couple days. Now he cries when he's sick and has to stay home because he wants to go to "school" and see his friends and teachers.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 10:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009