How much running is too much for a 3 year old?

My daughter is just turning 3 years old. A group of us go walking/running at an indoor track. The little ones usually ride in a stroller. Yesterday we went and after a mile of walking I got DD out of her stroller to stretch. After that, she didn't want to get back in her stroller. She wanted to walk/run with us. It wasn't very busy, so I let her. She jogged nearly an entire mile!!

Is that okay for her? I am not a runner, so I know very little about it. Should I just let her run till she is too tired, or should I put a limit on it. Her bones are still soft and developing, so I don't want to put too much strain on them. Any ideas?

mamalinzie

Asked by mamalinzie at 8:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Just let her run.. hte more she doesthe more tired she will be and hopefuly the better she will sleep. She will be fine... don't worry mama
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 8:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't think it was too much for her. I agree with the above. It will give her some great exercise and she will sleep really good for you!
    cutemary007

Answer by cutemary007 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If she did it then it was okay for her, she will tell you when she is done. And it is good for her!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• when she is tired, she is done. if she wants to stop than she is done. if not, i don't think it will hurt her.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• too much exercise? are you kidding? most kids dont get enough! let her run herself ragged!
    Anonymous

• I know its good for her. But I hear about runners getting injuries like bone spurs and what not, and with her bones still being so immature, I worry about them.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 10:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• runners get injuries because they dont listen to their bodies but your little girl will not do more than her body can handle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009