Just curious about your thoughts.

I have a 7mth old. 3rd son, other two are much older (16 & 21). They both used a walker and we were thinking about getting one now but I have heard conflicting opinions. Im thinking that problems only occur if you over use or let these things become your baby sitter. My older boys were crawling at this age and my 7mth old is not yet, I dont want to hold him back by using a walker. Im just curious of other opinions. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry so much about delaying walking (it can cause a small delay, but the kid will still learn to walk sometime before college... lol). But the risk of injury is pretty good, so you have to be very careful. My son loved his walker, and we were always really careful to only use it on the first floor and only when he was well supervised. But just one time, my husband took it upstairs when I wasn't home, and our son went down and entire flight of stairs in it. Thank god he was okay. So, just be really careful.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I read that they are great, BUT only for up to 1/2 an hour at a time... I read it in a baby mag. tyhis months edition... I cant remember which one, I get so many!! lol.. My 8 month old nephew is not crawling yet either, the doc said it all comes at its own time... I would give him more tummy time and get down on the floor with him to tease him to get you/an object
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 8:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Apparently they can be dangerous, although I don't think the risk is as big as some make it out to be. We got a stationary activity center on bungee cords...so it bounces (Baby Einstein). My daughter loves it and it has been just fine for us.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My dd just got one and I think they are dangerous only on stairs but she loves hers because she always has to see what is going on.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• They can pull things down on themselves, too. So be careful of that. My son also got ahold of a steak knife once because I put it on the table and didn't think he could reach that far in his walker. He could. Oops. Good thing I was right there.

Seriously, am I terrible mother? My kid plays with knives and rolls down staircases. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We opted for an exersaucer as opposed to a walker because of the risks involved with walkers. Like bluefrog mentioned, they can pull things down or even turn themselves over.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about him not crawling yet, every baby is differnt. Maybe he just hasnt seen anything worth crawling for yet, aor he might just get up and walk...just be patient and he will figure it out. But if you are really worried i would talk to your doctor...they are the best sorce of information. Good Luck!
    Alexandranino26

Answer by Alexandranino26 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I haven't ever heard anything bad about them. My 7 mon. old loves her walker! I usually put her in it while I'm cooking or cleaning the kitchen. Her feet were just recently able to finally touch so she can walk in it and before she was waking up 2-5 times a night, but now she only wakes up 1 time a night and I think it's because she gets her exercise in it to sleep better at night. My DH even put shoes and a hat on her and took her outside to watch us wash our cars on Sunday and she loved it!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2009