How much do your kids eat?

I've had people tell me that I should let my kids eat whenever they say they're hungry. After all, they are growing children. But, if I do that, my kids would eat 24-7. They want to eat when they are bored. They want to eat because I just went to the grocery store and think because it's there, they HAVE to eat it. I buy healthy snacks but, I think even too much of those could be bad. Should I limit their snacking between meals or just let them go at it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i let mine eat whenever they are hungry but thats me its up to you
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well, yes and no. I think it depends on how old your kids are. Toddlers are not likely to overeat. Once they get about 5 ish and up, I think its definately important to monitor their eating. My 7 and 10 yr olds will eat ALL day long. They are in the kitchen every 45 min. Its because they are bored and if I have just been to the grocery store, they think they have to eat it. My 10 yr old dd is starting puberty and shes beginning to accumulate fat around her middle and thighs, just like everyone goes through and I watch her carb intake. I don't want her gaining too much during this time becaue it makes it harder to get off later. I think bfast, lunch and 1 afternoon snack before dinner is sufficient.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I let mine eat whenever he is hungry because he doesn't eat very much due to his medication. At 12 he is starting to eat more and more but still not as much as most boys going into puberty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• All of my children are very picky eaters, so I'm thrilled when they want to eat anything. I don't care if it's at the dinner table or at 3 in the morning.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i let ine pretty much eat whenever she wants..but if its close to lunch or dinner time i tell her she can wait...and when she does snack its usually either some applesauce, a yogurt, or a banana..once in a while i let her have some chips after her bath, right before bed..but usually she just has a yogurt..she loves yoogurt!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my daughter is 18-months -old but eats like she is a 44-year-old trucker! Luckily for me, she'll eat anything you put in front of her: fruits, veggies, organic goodies! So as long as she's eating good healthy stuff, I let her pig out as much as she wants to! She's a very petite girl, but tall for her age - I just chuck it up to her having a good metabolism! When she's full, she lets me know & I trust her - but ask me again when she's about 4 or 5!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009