• In the Spotlight:

I cant believe she only got a one day suspension!

My son is in 7th grade and a classmate of his was drunk in the cafeteria. Apparently she laced her ice tea with Vodka from home; come to find out this is the second time.

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• A drunk 7th grader is a much more serious problem than the length of her suspension. Someone, school counselor, social worker, parent, etc., needs to step in and figure out why this child feels a need to drink alcohol.

I hope, for the child's sake, that someone gets her the help she needs and is so desperately seeking with this behavior.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• the parents should get in trouble they have the vodka where she can get it apparently
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• only one day?? omg. if that was my kid ohhhh big trouble. can we say life as u know it is over! and this being the 2nd time she should have gotton more then 1 day and the parents should have learned from the first time. lock and key thats what i say.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• This could be a case where the school knows that if she is suspended the parents aren't really going to care and since she wasn't hurting anyone else it's better to have her in school.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• This is when the comfort of the parents has to come second to the good of the child. If this is the second time she has gotten alcohol from home, it is twice too much. There should be no more alcohol kept at home, and if that's too hard on the parents, maybe they need to re-evaluate their priorities and ask themselves what's more important, their convenience or their daughter.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I not only agree with pagan mama, but I will add that its not the schools job to do the primary discipline. I would have laid the law down on my teens behind if that had been her. THe first time.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I disagree with suspension. THe child should be forced to go to school instead of allowed to stay home where he/she is free drink more b/c he/she is probably alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't care what the school does honestly, I would ground my child for the entire rest of the school year, and if that were less than 5 months, for the summer too.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh my goodness,at my old school We'd be excluded for at least 2 weeks for something like that
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009