back taxes

how much can the irs garnish out of your paycheck if they choose to for back taxes? Is it a certain percent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have they already sent you anything regarding that?
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• They can garnish the ENTIRE amount until your debt is paid off!!! I hope they get every penny they are owed! I am amazed at the amount of ignorance I see when it comes to paying your debts to society! Why should I pay my taxes as I am supposed every April 15th, while you skip along merrily enjoying your money, and hoping that the IRS doesn't catch up with you?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'm so glad anon 8:35, woke up on the wrong side of the bed this mornign and took the assumption by the question that i am the one who has not paid my taxes. For the record it is not me. I was asking because this morning when i tried to collect a customers money for her deductible for foxing her car, she got on her soap box about how hard life is and she can't get a break, the dam irs is going to garnish her wages and bank account to pay back taxes from when she was with her husband and she doesn't know what she will do if she can't get her money to lie on, and how it is rediculous that she has to pay a $500.00 deductible. And I thought they couyldn't garnish more than 20% so things couldn't be that bad. That is why i was asking. But i guess curiosity killed the cat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When I did payroll for a large company and one of the employees there made over $70k... when I received the IRS garnishment - he was allowed to make $149 and change and the rest went to the IRS until further notice. Needless to say after the first garnishment - he quit.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009