• In the Spotlight:

Why is it an issue to have to show ID when going to the polls?

Texas Legislature will be debating the requirement of ID when voting, Republicans are for this, Democrats are against. The Dems argue that this is nothing more than an attempt to suppress votes by minorities, elderly and disabled. I am wondering if those that are included in those classifications are unable to attain a state ID (different from a DL)? I don't understand why it's a bad thing to verify that a person is who they say they are. What's next? Do we stop requiring that when someone speeds that they show a driver's license to avoid their embarassment of a horrible picture? I am totally for requiring ID and can't understand the other side. Can someone enlighten me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You need ID to apply for SS and SSI. You need ID to apply for a job. You need ID to open a bank account or cash a check. If you don't have ID, you can't function in society.
    We required ID when I worked at the hospital. It kept people from using someone else's insurance card to get medical care. We required ID when I managed apartment complexes. Once again, to prevent fraud.
    How does someone function in society without one?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It's not about horrible pictures. It's just that lost of people simply don't have state ids, and there are real obstacles to getting one. I know I've had times in my life when I absolutely could not stand in line at the DMV for 4 hours, you know? So the debate is over whether or not it is okay to add an obstacle for voters. That said, I do think it's important to ID voters. Seems like there must be another way. I'm sot sure what the best solution is, honestly.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• This is just ridiculous. Of course we should prove who we are. Isn't the voting system corrupt enough?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Don't these voters have birth certificates? That is proof!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• In Ga since you have to show ID to vote they have special days where people can go get a free ID to vote. But, its also illegal to not carry state issued ID with you in GA so, I never could figure out why its a big deal. You used to only have to have your utility bill or ID to vote which was fair because you can just walk in there with someone elses bill and vote in their name. You would think everyone is for having to have ID because it would be to easy for someone to vote in your place, taking away your right to vote.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• IMO its a way for the dems to sneak illegal voters in. If you are voting you should be able to prove who you are and your eligibility.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

I totally agree with you here!!!!!
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 9:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The Democrats don't want anyone to have to show their ID so that they can continue to support the lying and cheating practices by AKORN. They also want to be able to slip in illegals in to vote for their side. That how The Democrats are do what you want without any accountability.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have to show a picture ID here to vote. Can be a driver's license with a picture or the state ID. I agree with the rule of showing proof.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I vote in TX and I bring my ID with me (in addition to my voter registration card). They only require one of those when I have voted in the past, but I am in support of requiring both. With our rights as citizens, comes responsibilities. I don't know about DMV in all states, but I do know that you can make an appointment in some states (CA is one) to shorten your wait time. It's a different line and you had to have made an appointment.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009