How do you get rid of a lovey?

My 3yo daughter has been attached to a stufffed giraffe since she was 6 months old -her doctor encoruaged the attatched and said it was healthy. Well - we couldn't find the darn thing last night and she screamed like she was being murdered for over 2 hours until I fianlly took her out for a walk and she fell asleep on my shoulder. How do I get her to let it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep looking for the lovey. In the meantime maybe you can explain that it went on a vacation and you guys can "wait" together at home for him to come back.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My 4 year old ( turns 5 in Sept. ) daughter has one from when she was a baby ( just born ) and I hate it when she takes it somewhere and forgets it . I always go back to get it cause she can not sleep with out the thing . Daddy gave it to her at the hospital the day she was born . She won't even let me wash it and when she knows I want to wash it she'll go hide it from me . Good Luck and I hope you find it or maybe you can replace it with one that looks just like it . Mine I can't ! Its a pink bear and worn out and she will know the difference plus we got hers in AK and don't plan on driving there if she ever looses it .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• A friend of mine her DD will be 6 in May and she has a lovey. She doesn't carry it everywhere she just mostly sleeps with it or sometimes she will have it around the house if she gets hurt or is upset is when she want's it too. I am sorry I can't help you out my girls are 14 months and 4 years. They really never had a lovey. Now my 4 year old will sleep with a stuffed animal my mom gave her when she was like 2 it is a Barney lol. But that is all she does is sleep with it. She wont carry it around and there is still sometimes where she doesn't ask for it so I don't say anything. Only if she asks I will get it. My 14 month old isn't atatched to anything.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Right now we have 5 lovey's. Our pedi suggested getting more than one and get them different just in case you lose one or leave it behind. All 5 of ours are different. We used those in place of her paci. We have left one behind and it took 5 days to get it back. But she was okay because we had others to sleep with.

I would use the giraffe went on vacation and we should wait for her to come back and lets find a new "whatever" in the meantime. You don't want to break the security that she has to sleep with something. Offer to take her to find something new after school today and see what she thinks. I wish you all the luck. I don't think a lovey at this age is to much and paci maybe, but not a lovey.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Keep searching. If you find it, great. If you don't, let her pick a substitute and then never allow it out of the house.

Do not try to "break" her of this habit. She will outgrow it on her own when she is ready. A lovey may end up sitting on a shelf through high school and even going away to college - so what? It's a connection to a time when she felt safe, cared for, and throughly loved.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Don't try and break her of the lovey habit, there is nothing unhealthy about it. However she is old enough for you to start leaving the Lovey in the car when you go places, and eventually at home. My best friend from high school still sleeps with her quilty (a small remainder of her childhood quilt) under her pillow, and she's been married almost a year. Her hubby thinks it is cute, but she had told him if it bothered him she'd keep it in her lingerie drawer.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son also had a stuffed giraffe "melman" from Madagascar ha ha! He lost his when we were in the city watching fireworks, so there was no finding it. I went to the store and got him another one, it was smaller, he knew it wasn't the same. but he was still comforted by it. Then shortly after he lost intrest.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I hope that you find it! My 16 year old still sleeps with hers and plans on taking it to college with her. LOL Seriously, I see nothing wrong with the lovies as long as they are limited as much as possible to the bed.
    taymacsmom

Answer by taymacsmom at 10:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009