what about night terrors??? HELP!

At least 4 nights out of 7 my daughter wakes up screaming, either "help me mom" or "im stuck" and the other night she actually said " my face is bleeding" (omg!) She just turned two a month ago and we have an incredibly happy life, her father and i have fun with her everyday, she has a very active imagination and she's unbelievably smart for her age but what is the problem? She also says she sees ghosts and dinosaurs and that they chase her. She doesn't watch anything scary, she mostly listens to music(ie:the wiggles, backyardagains) What do i do? Help me, i'm sleep deprived because even if she doesnt have a nightmare i cant sleep well because im worried she will.

RyleighsMama362

Asked by RyleighsMama362 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try getting a night light and a dream catcher and tell her they will protect her against the bad things
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• thanks for your answer, she has 3 night lights but no dream catcher...she has a canopy bed with glow in the dark stars on the top and a turtle that lights up the constellations...lately she's been sleeping with me, probably to quell my own anxieties lol
    RyleighsMama362

Answer by RyleighsMama362 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Some things I've read that can help:
    Don't have dinner too close to bedtime. They don't know why but going to be stuffed full seems to cause them.
    Don't let her get overtired. Kids who fall asleep from exhaustion are more likely to have them.

I'd also suggest a guardian stuffed animal. My daughter was starting to talk about monsters and things shortly after she turned 2. I got her a special stuffed dragon who's job is to growl at and bite any monsters he sees. Since then, she has mentioned monsters a couple of times but I remind her that Gleep is on duty and that he does such a good job that I haven't seen any monsters in the house since he arrived. Then she smiles, tells me all about how he bites them and that's the end of it. Yeah!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Do you believe that she could see Ghosts or be very gifted spiritually?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yah, I wouldn't discount that she might be able to see ghosts so I wouldn't tell her that the ghosts aren't real. Ask her to tell you what she can remember about these dreams. You'll probably have to ask her right after it happens and have a conversation about it. Get her to let it out and find out why these things in her dreams scare her. Maybe explain to her to confront these things that scare her in her dreams. I'm sure you can find a way to communicate this to her. When I was a little girl I would have bad dreams that would wake me every night and I would yell and talk in my sleep. My Mom tells me how I even cussed people out (dreaming) when I was just 7 years old. How I made this stop was by confronting the things that bothered me in my dreams and they stopped, as far as the scary things went. The cussing, I don't know? ;) I think that taking her to the toy store and letting her pick out a big stuffed animal to watch out
    Anonymous

• cont. for her would be good too.
    Anonymous

• Is she awake? If they scream or yell out, or even sit up, withotu actually being awake and seem to be inconsolable without even really being aware you are there, it is a night terror. If she wakes up because of a bad dream and you can comfort her, it is nightmare. Some of the other differences are if she can talk to you about it, its a nightmare. If she calms down on her own and goes back to a peaceful sleep after a few minutes without being aware of it in the morning, it was a night terror.

The reason it makes a difference is because if it is a nightmare, then it helps to comfort her, provide a guardian animal, even talk about the bad dreams and maybe help her imagine ways that it could have turned into a good dream. If she is having night terrors, do not do anything that might wake her and talk to your pediatrician about them.

MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You can also tell the difference between a night terror & a nightmare by who is more upset in the morning. If it is a nightmare the child will be more upset because they will remember it. And the parent will be more upset if it is a night terror because the child will be inconsolable & will not remember it in the morning. My youngest had night terrors for a few months but he grew out of it. We also made sure he was getting more sleep & that seemed to help. Night terrors also tend to occur in the fist 2 hours of sleep while nightmares happen later on in the sleep cycle.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 2:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• to answer all your questions, she has 3 stuffed animals and a "fuzzy blankie" that she sleeps with...i definatley know these are night terrors because she doesn't remember them after she snaps out of her twilight awakeness(for lack of better term) I absolutley believe she does see ghosts, she's talked about them since she's been able to form words, she gave up naps a few weeks ago and the night terrors do seem to have increased since then (they did happen before) i don't know what else to do
    RyleighsMama362

Answer by RyleighsMama362 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• PS she also is very good about telling me her dreams in the morning on good mornings and usually she says that they are about the sky, flying, and other random stuff like me and daddy or this particular person she calls mayma...could mayma be a ghost?
    RyleighsMama362

Answer by RyleighsMama362 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009