How do you make the most of having just one child?

We have an almost 3 year old boy. I desperately want more children, but my husband is fickle on the idea, we're dealing with infertility and adoption may not be within our reach because of cost. How do I make the most of having just one if that is what is meant to be?

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Having gone through secondary infertility myself, it can be a difficult time for both husband and wife. We adopted one of our daughters through our state's foster care system. She came into our home at 2 days old as a foster daughter and her adoption was final when she was 15 months old. Our total cost for that adoption was $16.50 and that was to pay for a new birth certificate. Adopting through foster care is usually very low cost or free in most cases. In some cases, like ours, they even provide adoption subsidy in the form of medical cards, or monthly stipends, or other help.

Before we adopted though, I finally came to the conclusion that I was content with my life. If one child was what God had planned for me, then so be it. I think learning to be content is the most important thing you can do.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 2:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i'm not sure b/c i have two kids. all i can say is be happy you were able to have one child.
    rissa_mommyof2

Answer by rissa_mommyof2 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• enjoy every single little thing while your one chld grows (we all know they grow way too fast) and as for another baby, go ahead and try to make another,it's fun and you might get lucky through the grace of God. also, have you thought about being a foster parent?
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 2:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have just the one child as well, but I have never given birth. Our daughter is adopted, and yes it was expensive, but that was our only option .. and quite frankly, I believe, our destiny! Except for the no siblings thing, raising an only child is not so difficult. Keep them involved in extra-curricular activities, get them involved in things, arrange playdates or register for pre-school so they have that social thing.

Mostly I would suggest you hang on to this ideal, it was said to me when we were waiting to adopt and it really was the BEST thing anyone ever said to me! "God's Delays are not His Denials"

Good Luck!
    Tesnonian

Answer by Tesnonian at 8:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2008