Does anyone else's child wear a wide or x-wide shoe?

My son wears an size 1 xw shoe (he can wear a wide sometimes, depending on the shoe). I am getting so frustrated trying to find him some new shoes. We normally buy Stride Rite or New Balance but I am not having any luck with them right now. With Stride Rite they either don't have them in stock and it seems that there is not much of a selection of W and XW as his foot gets longer. With New Balance I have to order them online and I have to send the shoes back about 2-3 times before we can find the perfect fit. I have tried a few other stores such as Payless and Wal-Mart but no luck there either. So, if your child wears a wide or X-wide shoe, where do you buy them at?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:13 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Shopping

• Honey I feel for ya! My son has wide feet and I didn't really know it until he got these little like callouses on his big toes where they were rubbing on the shoes. Totally made me feel like a bad mommy!! And finding wide shoes are hard!! For kids anyway, I tried Walmart, Target, Kmart, Penneys, Sears, everywhere. Sometimes you find them and sometimes I couldn't. I think I had luck at Sears a lot. He has grown alot since he was little and it's easier to find wide shoes for older kids. I did go to an actual shoe store in the end, not like a footlocker but an actual shoe store and had him fitted. It costs more but his little callouses went away.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my daughter needs a wide usually and it is a pain. She complains and it is awful just trying to buy a pair of shoes for a christmas dress or something because we can never find wide in her size. Sorry Im no help but I feel your pain.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• we have a new ballance store that i go to. so they can fit him... anywhere where the kid can sit down and be fitted will be easier for a hard fit like a double wide. good luck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would recommend Ecco, you can get them at Dillards, and Sears, i bought my son his at Ross Dress for Less, if you dont have that, go to any discount shoe store, like Marshalls, etc
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009