Stem Cell question

I was lidtening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about Obama signing the thing to allow for embrionic stem cell funding. They were saying that this frees us up to partner with Britain in their ongoing research. I guess Britain has cured blindness in multiple animals and the US wants to work with them to start human trials by 2011. So my question is for those of you that are against embrionic stem cell use, if your child became blind and they were able to cure your child, would you do the treatment or would your beliefs stop you from curing your child? No judgement from me, I just wondered.

trippyhippy

Asked by trippyhippy at 10:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am very much for it, but a blind girl from my state went to China (where they are already doing human trials) and she is gaining some sight back. Plus, I really believe in the laws that are in place around the US and GB's Stem Cell Research and the age of the blastocysts that are used. So yes, if my child needed them, I would use them. I am happy that we chose to gain back our scientific lead in the world.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I personally disagree with destroying an embryo for any reason. It is a baby, plain and simple. There are actually many other ways that are more reliable for research and aren't as immoral. There are hundreds of other options but they are a little more expensive. The stem cell research on an embryo is actually very unreliable and none consistent. I am all for stem cell research, just not that of the embryo.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

I uderstand but you didn't answer the question. If this was the only way (yet) to save your child's sight, would you do it even though you are against the process?
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Anon, I don't know if this would make you feel any better or not, but that the cells that they use have to be used within 14days from the first creation. And that lifting this ban will also encourage adult stem cell research as well?
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Oh I did answer the question, there are other ways and my child being blind isn't going to kill him. No, I wouldn't agree with it for that reason. If my child were dying, my thoughts might be different but I would never think such a thought for even a second. Besides, it takes years and years for the research to result real results. I have done a lot of research of this, especially while I was in medical school. I do know what happens with those cells, I know more than most of the public unfortunately. So I do not agree with it for ANY reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'm thrilled they have finally decided to allow science to move forward with stem cell research and explore all the possible benefits.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That is more of what I was asking. Not just do you believe, but would that belief stop you from using that treatment for your child.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 11:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The embryos that are destined for stem cell research would be destined to be destroyed anyway.... because they are normally extras and not everyone is like Octo-mom that insists on using all 14 of her embryos.

Could someone please explain to me why they would rather these embryos be DESTROYED than used for Stem Cell research?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That research does NOT use embyonic stem cells. It uses "adult stem cells". In this case, cells from an aborted fetus. But the stem cells from a fetus are classed as adult stem cells. Only stem cells from an embryo are embryonic stem cells.

As far as I know, there are no successful trials anywhere using embryonic stem cells. The few trials that have occured were stopped when nasty, multi-tissue tumors developed in the patients' bodies.

Will scientist ever find a way to control embryonic stem cells? Probably. Will they also learn how to force your own cells to go back to that stage and heal the body on their own? Probably.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That research does NOT use embyonic stem cells

Well from what they were talking about on NPR they are.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 1:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009