Why are people so opposed to day care?

I have seen many questions asking about dealing with day care. And many answers are don't do it if you can avoid it. Why? Day care is a great way to allow your child to interact with other children the same age in a safe and monitored setting with qualified people. I can understand not wanting it at a certain age, but why is day care in general frowned upon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with the moms on here who have no personal issues with daycare. I am a SAHM of 3. I understand these people who say they don't want other people raising their kids, and I think that if you are a SAHM then no, full time daycare is not where your kids belong. But i don't see anything wrong with letting them stay with someone else for a few hours a week for mom to have some mommy time to run errands and whatever. My kids went to daycare when I worked, and they went to daycare when I went to college. Also my hubby and I took one night out per pay period (every 2 weeks) when our kids would go to a child care provider (she was a licensed home daycare provider and they loved being there). I also don't see how you can say that you don't want to put them in daycare because you want to be with them all the time. How are you going to do that when they are 5 and they have to go to school? Not everyone can homeschool either. JMO.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with your thinking. My child is in a wonderful daycare with amazing teachers that are all educated and required to be. The daycare pays for their schooling if they have not already done so. They can be an assistant until they finish. It's more of a learning environment and the facility is wonderful. My son loves the interaction with the other children and even his teacher. She keeps my updated on everything. He is only 2 but has learned so much there. I think the important thing is knowing the teacher well and trusting the person. I wouldn't take my child so some run-down facility with random people running it. I think it's important to do your research first but daycare can be a wonderful thing.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Because in my view some one else is raising your child. You are not watching your kids grow..You are not the one teaching your child things. Other people are. They might be teach your child things you do not want your child to know.

Answer by louise2 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I can really only answer this from my own perspective and I think it has a lot to do with how a person is raised and what their family dynamic is. How we think about things is key in how we deal with it. For me personally, I don't want my children with someone else all day. Regardless of age, I want to be not only their primary caretaker but their teacher. I ve been home for 13 yrs and now that my older 3 are in school, it bothers me that they are there without me all day. I know that sounds weird, but I don't like the fact that they spend more time with their teachers than with me. I just have always been taught that my children and their education and training is MY responsibility. We will be homeschooling next year and hopefully involved in a co op. My house is full of kids all the time, so the social interaction just isn't an issue with us. Its funny when school starts...I look over my kids teachers with such scrutiny..LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It was too expensive, my kids got too sick, and I like being there for them all the time...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• For me personally its about me. I don't criticize others for it, I just don't personallly don't like it for me. Thats all.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter goes to pre school twice a week, that's only 4 hours a week. I can't stand to leave my kids. But I do it for them. My eldest son has to go to school, and my daughter needs to learn and play with other children her age.
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 10:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I guess it depends on how long your kids in daycare. If its 9 hours 6 days a week then your kid spends more time with the sitter than you.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My opinion is that at that age in their lives, parents should be their main social contact and guide them through the world. I agree that daycare is the same as having someone else raise your children. My kids are not socially neglected, they have friends, but I am always with them for this critical period of their development. I want to be the main influence in my children's lives, I don't want to see them for just a few hours around dinner time and then put them to bed. I want to be the one who teaches them about the world and how to navigate it. For my family, daycare would be a 100% last resort.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 11:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It's all a matter of opinion. MY opinion is like some of the others here. In sending your child away to "socialize" you're missing out! You let someone else that may have different views on things raise your children. Just because they are teachers doesn't mean they don't influence children. My kids don't need to socialize with 20 other kids their age everyday to be successful in life.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 10, 2009