IS it true you can "talk down" medical bills?

I have some larger debits to the hospital and I'm on a payment plan but i heard you could talk to them and make a deal and they'll cut some price because of inflation of the actual pricing. Has anyone had succes doing that?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:30 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can but usually, it's only successful in a "settlement" case. For example, you have a $10,000 hospital bill and you get a large tax refund and it's like $8,000. You can talk to them usually and say look, I do not have all that money and I can keep paying the minimum payment for the rest of my life but I would rather get this resolved. I have $8,000 cash that I can give you if we can call it even. Or, I have had it where they misdiagnosed and almost killed my husband. We had to go back to another hospital and they found the problem. We contacted the original hospital and told them that they could take the insurance payment and write off the rest or we could contact a lawyer to have the matter taken care of for endangering my husband's life. They took the insurance payment only and wrote off the rest. It happens daily so yes, it's possible. You have to know how all of that works though to really negotiate.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The best way to keep from paying too much is to watch what you are billed for. I have seen mis charging, more times than not. Always ask for a detailed bill. One of my children had surgery, and when I looked at the bill, they had charged an stupid price for socks!! Socks? We brought our own from home that he was comfortable with and told the nurse they were not needed. Too bad, she added the charge anyway. I refused to pay that amount and several hundred dollars of other over charges.

My insurance actually pays quite well, but I watch for my portion no matter what. Even yesterday I found that the dr's office had not billed for a ski accident and a dislocated knee for my son correctly. That left me over $200 to pay bc they did not bill as an accident. I called, they fixed it and now they OWE me! LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009