At what age do kids start to sit up and stuff?

My nephew isn't sitting up a lone yet. He will be 8 months old in 2 weeks he doesn't even crawl yet, but I know that some kids never crawl. He reaslly doesn't do much besides roll from his belly to his back he can't even roll back to his belly. At what age should my sister exspect him to do things? My kids were carwling at 5 and 6 months and siitting up at 6 months. He doesn't even get up on his knees yet either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had to prop himself like a tripod when he was sitting up until he was about 10 months old (big head). And it was at about 10 months that he started getting into a sitting position on his own from lying down. He didn't crawl until he was 11 months old. He didn't even start rolling around until 8 months. At 9 months, according to our pedi, he should be able to get places somehow, whether by rolling, crawling, army crawling, scooting, cruising, walking, whatever. If he can do that, then he's probably fine; if he's still just rolling front to back and that's it, then it could be a cause for concern. Tell her to bring it up at his 9 month check-up and see what his pedi says.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son was SOO fat that he didn't sit up till around 7 months. He also didn't crawl till 9 monhts. My daughter could sit alone at 4 and crawl at 4.5 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son is 4 1/2 months and he can't even roll over yet. Not even close. He can ALMOST sit up alone though. He doesn't get on his knees either. But he has some major let muscle and can stand for LONG periods of time, RUNS in his walker around the house (he's very tall) and I'm sure he'll be walking early. My daughter crawled for about 2 weeks when she was 9 months old and went right to walking. She started walking at 9 1/2 months. I on the other hand, didn't start walking till' I was over a year old. So it just depends on the kid. I'd say not to worry... he'll get it on his own.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 10:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• major *leg* muscle
    Kaytlynsmommy

• I think it really depends! Is he a chunky baby? Somtimes it takes them longer to become mobile. Amelia is six months (almost seven) and she is sitting up and crawling and has been for about a month. She is also rolling from back to front, and front to back.
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 11:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Ya my kids were walking early too. My oldest DD was walking at 8.5 months and my youngest DD was walking at 9.5 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc

If a child falls 2 or more months behind in the first "most kids this age can do these things" column, it may signal a problem. He does seem to be falling a little behind in the major muscle milestones. It might not be a problem, especially if he's a fat baby, but it might also signal a problem. If he has a 9 month checkup, I'd suggest she make sure the doctor knows what he can and can't do. If he doesn't have 9 month checkup, I think I'd schedule an appointment rather than wait until 12 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009