Do you think a 8 1/2 year old boy can walk to school alone??

I live about 10 min from my son school and my mother/grandmother think my nearly 9 year old son can't walk to school alone.

I know about all the dangerous people out there but is it healthy to think something bad is always going to happen to him??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't. But I live in an area they would have to walk across two busy streets and down a couple of alleys. I guess it would depend on how rersponsible he is, how ar it is, does he have to cross a busy street, are there crossing gaurds, is he walking alone, or with friends? Alot of things I would consider. But ultimately if you are worried about it maybe wait and look over it again next year.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It is very healthy to think something bad is always going to happen to him! That's called being a consciencous parent. Worrying if meteors are going to fall out of the sky and hit him, yes, too much worrying but, the fear of the VERY REAL danger of child preditors... If you know about all the dangerous people out there, why would you even consider letting him walk alone? Aren't you worried what could happen to him? There is no way I would let my child walk ANYWHERE alone. Also, what is 10 mins in a car is a much longer walk!
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 10:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I personally wouldn't let my child walk alone that young either. But I'm paranoid and stuff. It only takes one split second and you could never see your child again. I wouldn't want to take that risk. But that's just my opinion.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 10:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We as adults cant even walk alone anymore. I think that is way to young.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I try to let my daughter have independence and my mom is always freaking out about it. I try not to live in fear (which is why I dont watch the news) and my mom is cutting out every crime out of the paper to warn us...I hate it!! Im scared enough with out her help. Im sure he could do it. It would be nice if he had someone to walk with him and keep him company. Does he want to walk to school? I would never do it if I lived in a city, but in a small town I may consider it but I would have people on the look out with out him know ing the first couple of times and see how he does crossing streets and watching for cars. I wouldnt make him if he doesn't want to but I may try it and see how he does.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• NOPE. 10 minutes is plenty long enough for something to happen... then the school wouldn't notify you for a while that he didn't show up because they'd be thinking he was out sick or something. There is no way, in today's society, that I'd allow a 8-9 year old (of either gender) to walk alone. Hell, when my youngest was 11 - 3 years older than what your talking about - he walked to the 7-11 store which was literally 1 block from our house..... the clerk of the store wound up walking him home because some old guy was acting all weird, tried to rub my kids hair when he was in line, then the old guy went out and got in his car and just sat there.... the clerk freaked out THANK GOD, and refused to let my son leave the store alone. It CAN happen anytime, anywhere..... what take a chance at all??
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It's way too young. When my third was a newborn and same my second even when sick and snowing we went out to see each child off - I sat in the car with my kids at the bus stop or drove with them to one's school. Go to your state's homepage and search for sex offenders listing or try John Walsh's show Amercia's Most Wanted - Center for Missing and Exploited Children .... they all list at least numbers in your neighborhood or town, surrounding towns maybe even more info is given. I have men in their fifties living together in my neighborhood. My two daughters are older, They're still not left alone. They go out themselves to friends when I go out or they go with me. Don't send your son alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would have to say no just based on the distance. The district I live in you dont see too many elementary*( except for those who can see school from their house) or middle school*(located on busy highway, even with crossing guard) students walking. My youngest didnt start walking to school until he was a freshman in HS. Now he drives to school *(less than1 mile)*
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 11:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It totally depends on your neighborhood, the walk, etc.
    10 minutes walk, though? Depends... do you guys walk slow? :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My kids walk to my mom's house after school. Of course, the school is only like block and a half away from her house, and they always walk home together. We live in Houston, and even though that neighborhood is a decent one, I don't think I'd like them walking home from school if they walked home one at a time. It's a scary world. And just because it's a nice neighborhood doesn't mean all the people that come through it are nice. Is there maybe another kid, of one of the neighbors, that he can walk home with? That would be a good solution, and ease your mind a little, I think.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 5:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009