okayy, i just brought my daughter home & i need help?

we came home today, because she was running a fever and they wanted to keep an eye on her.
she is coughing a little
and keep gasping for air :(
what should i do?
the doctor said that it should be fine
and also, she wont eat?
i am very sore on breastfeeding, for my first two it was fine, but she is having trouble latching on
and she will not drink out of a bottle
how should i feed her now?

youngmommy14297

Asked by youngmommy14297 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You said the doctor said she should be fine, but mommy-instinct trumps a doctor every time. If you thinks she isn't out of the woods, take her to the pediatrician today.

As for getting some fluid into her, do you have an eye dropper you can use to give her a little bit until you can ask the pediatrician?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• about the gasping for air and coughing, get a humidifier and take a steam bath (fill the bathroom with steam) and that could help clear out the sinus/congestion.

your milk could have come in. When my milk came in my daughter wouldn't eat at all, because she COULDN'T latch. I had to pump to get my breasts back down to a size she could eat with and get them from being hard. I would keep trying to nurse. The LC I saw said not to freak out if she hadn't eaten in a bit, as it's normal.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Eyedropper filled with breast milk or formula and given by mouth! Not in the eye! LOL
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Eye dropper or medicine dropper is my suggestion too. Get some cabbage leaves and put them in your bra...believe me this weird remedy will aid in your sore nipples. Also, take her to her pediatrician and if they still tell you things are fine, take her somewhere else.
    Is she blue anywhere on her body...fingertips, lips? If so, she's not getting enough oxygen take her to er.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Cabbage leaves can make your milk dry up. Don't use them if you want to continue bfing. Try lanolin cream and soothies. Also make sure that she's latching on properly since a bad latch can cause nipple pain as will as not breaking the suction before unlatching.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• when she was born, her face was all bruised, as you can see in her pics, but its fine now, btww, new pics up and thanks so much! i will try all that you guys have suggested :)!
    youngmommy14297

Answer by youngmommy14297 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Trust your instincts for the illness. Do NOT hesitate to take her back to the doctor. They are used to worried, nervous, first time moms... you won't be the first, you won't be the last.

For the breastfeeding, if you continue to have problems, contact a breastfeeding consultant. They can really help you solve all sorts of breastfeeding problems. If you can't find any in the phone book, call the nurses at the hospital and ask if they have any phone numbers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You can go to www.kellymom.com if you need some help on breastfeeding. I lived on there the first few months I breastfed. Good luck and congratulations!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009