Should teachers be paid a merit pay?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090310/pl_politico/19824

I personally don't agree with this because I feel that we will be doing our children a greater disservice. The schools are already teaching to the test and if they change the pay or give a "bonus" based on how well the classroom scored on a test then there will be even more teaching to the test. I agree that there are certain teachers who may need a little more improving but send them to conferences or additional training. Don't punish the good teachers who choose to work in a lower-socioeconomical school.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 11:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe they should offer a bonus to parents that participate and get their kid's grades up. Just kidding.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Glad my kids aren't in public school!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently commented perceptively on the folly of
    sticking to that model of compensation in education:
    As substitutes for performance-based standards, school systems now
    reward teachers on degrees and seniority. Yet neither of those measures
    may correlate with student achievement. In this competitive economy,
    companies would close their doors if they paid low-performing employees
    the highest salaries just because they’d been there a long time or had a
    grad school diploma on their wall. 2
    The newspaper quoted Dr. Eric A. Hanushek, education policy expert at Stanford
    University, as underscoring the premium current pay systems put on mediocrity: “Bad
    teachers are given a lifetime contract. The hiring of principals and teachers is one of the
    few places we don’t make marginal corrections. We just go with our first guess.”
    http://www.lexingtoninstitute.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would love to have a teacher teach my Adhd kid , but she spends most of the time calling me to tell me about hisADHD behaviors . Newsflash I know all about his behavior!
    Since we are aware of his issues lets work on it instead of complain about it ,which is a waste of our time .
    Yes I think a teacher needs to demonstrate her methods are working .
    The teachers in poorer schools have a greater challenge I am sure , but we keep throwing money at schools to no avail, Maybe they can show us it is not money that is the issue it is effort .
    I am all for trying something new in a failing system .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think teachers with seniority and tenure should lose tenure if they are proven to be ineffective.

Throwing money at the problem rarely results in a resolution.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Teacher unions stink, anyone?
    You'd do a poopy job, too, if you knew it was almost impossible to be fired.
    If you were so inclined...........................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The US educational system isn't going to be solved by adjusting teachers pay. Unions will figure a way around it. Are schools going to divide the number of students in the upcoming class evenly amongst teacher based on students performance from previous year? What if one 5th grade teacher with seniority finagles their way to receive 4 gifted students, leaving only 2 gifted student for the other teacher? What are the assumptions of performance? How are they measured?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I absolutely don't agree with this. All this stupid idea will produce is a mass fleeing of decent to terrific teachers from schools that don't have hardly any parental support because there is no way they will be able to get water out of stones.

They will run to school districts that have better parental support which is proven to produce better students.
    Terry22

Answer by Terry22 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• QuinnMae, in all honesty that's not such a bad idea! My Dad used to quiz me whenever there was a test growing up, and I was one of six kids and after he had worked all day in Penn Station. Parents somehow along the line have gotten a real distaste for participating in the kids academic success, I don't know why.
    Terry22

Answer by Terry22 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well, with our economic climate the way it is, I bet there would be some competition among the parents if there was something in it for them. You know, besides knowledgeable successful kids that will have a better chance at success as adults. That's just one of the small pluses.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009