Should I feel bad for not wanting

my MIL and FIL to attend our babyshower on the 22nd?

They're already invited, and I'd never not invite them, but I really don't want them to go... they've always got to have the spotlight!

(didn't know where else to place the question)

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no, dont feel bad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Its normal! just Be the Spot Light, Your the one with the BELLY!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Nope don't feel bad, just don't let them get to you...go and enjoy your day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't feel bad. The only reason you should feel bad is if your actions towards them are not polite. You can feel anything you want, that's fine. As long as you can remember the old saying, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That's why I refuse to speak to my MIL.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• They can only take the spotlight if you give it to them. You already know how they are so work with it. Just smile and say a joke or two, say it's my shower, I'm the one that is having the baby.
    My MIN throw a fit because we did not invite her friends. My daughter and I keep having fun anyway. We did not let her spoil the party. Good Luck and have fun
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• MIL took it upon herself to invite her friends.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Nope. Don't feel bad at all. There's no law that says you have to like everyone on the planet, even if you're related to them :-) They have a personality that rubs you the wrong way. If I were pregnant and they were hogging my "me" time (which there are so very little events in life where we get the spotlight: a wedding, a first child, graduation etc.), I'd be pissed too.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My MIL took over a wedding shower my SIL was planning for me and turned it into a dual-party (a wedding shower for me and a house-warming party for herself). Guests brought BOTH of us gifts!

Then when I threw my SIL's wedding shower, my MIL didn't think I was capable of cooking for all of 20 or so guests? So she freaked out about her responsibility to cook when I told her 90 times that I was the host and that I would be cooking. Lo and behold, I was a 21 year old newly wed that had just pinched pennies to spend $300 on her SIL's shower to make food and buy wine and when I walk into the house, my MIL had cooked enough for everyone too. There was so much food, no one could eat it all and hundreds of dollars were wasted. It hurt me that she couldn't trust me to do a good job and pissed me off that I wasted $300.

In short, I feel your pain ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• matobe, that happened at my babyshower too. My SIL and MIL wanted to invite my MIL's friends and their side of the family to the shower. I was having another shower too but in my home state. I wanted this shower to include the friends where I live now. There were 5-7 invites left over for my friends and people that I wanted to invite. I actually had to uninvite people that I had already told could come. It was very embarassing.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• sheesh. SIL doesn't get along with MIL either. and I feel bad because I feel like SIL's in the same boat with anon :58. SAAAAAD!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009