How can I get my kids to mind their grandma's or just mind in general?

My kids do not like to listen to anything that I ask them to do. It's mainly my 8 year old. She doesn't want to do anything. Homework, chores, it doesn't matter. She will scream and throw a HUGE fit!!! Just yesterday she made her grandmother cry. I'm to the point to where I want to call Montel or Maury and have her scared straight!!! Now my 3 1/2 year old son is starting to do the same thing!!! I'm literally going insane!!! I pretty much have no control over them and I don't want to keep yelling and screaming!!! I just want them to listen and not have people embarressed to bring their kids over. Please help!!!

jennabauder666

Asked by jennabauder666 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Before, I give any answer, I have a question for you. How do you discipline her when she behaves this way?
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 11:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Ok, well grandma needs a backbone. I never gave my kids an option. They either minded or faced the consequences, PERIOD. They could throw fits all they wanted, but it didnt' matter. My children have never gone without, they have toys, and games and all kinds of stuff that they have gotten over the yearsm, and you knwo WHAT??? I can take them away VERY easily, not a problem
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It sounds like there are no consequences to their actions, and your yelling and screaming isn't working...have you tried taking things away? At my house if they don't want to help me then I won't help them...like taking them to a friends if they haven't done their chores, or homework, or even taking away tv if they can't act right. It's up to you to set up the rules in your house, the trick is to come up with a punishment you can both live with.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 11:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• She is to old to be screaming. At home you pick her up and put her in her room and tell when she ready to talk come out. In a store pick her up and leave. You talk to her in the car. JUST REMEMBER WHO IS THE PARENT and you are in charge not a child. If you lose it she takes over. It will be hard because she has been in charge for along time. You must be consistent show her you are in charge and her fits will not work on you anymore and have her call her grandmother and tell her she is sorry.
    PUT YOU FOOT DOWN NOW, before she becomes a teen.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009