Sick baby....

My 9mos old has a cold is there anything that I can give him to help with his coughing??

LKY678

Asked by LKY678 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No meds for a nine month old. Just use a vaporizer at night. I just try to remember that the coughing is good because everything is loosening up. It will run it's course, be patient.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• There are different types of coughs that respond to different types of treatment. What type of cough is it? Is it a typical cold, is there respiratory involvement? Have you taken the baby to the doctor? RSV, Influenza are both going around right now.
    Croupy cough: Bundle up yourself and baby and go outside for brief times.
    Cold cough: Over the counter cough syrups
    Chest cold: unless you are using homeopathy and are willing to do the research involved, see a doctor. They will ususally tell you what and how much to give.
    Steam up the bathroom and sit on the toilet and play with baby.
    Vicks baby rub might help.
    Good luck momma. :( Sorry baby is sick.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The doctors can prescribe him a cough medicine they did for my then 6 month old but i dont know of any over the counter or home rememedys you can use. Keeping the room warm seems to help the cold air aggravates the lungs.
    emmyandmadi

Answer by emmyandmadi at 11:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Keep the air moist. Run a humidifier. Either cool mist or steam, whichever works best.

If there is congestion with it...steam in the shower and use a snot sucker. Use saline nose drops and a snot sucker. Keep his head elevated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The saline and the humidifier are the best thing to help anyone's cold along, even ours. Poor little baby, I hate it when they have colds!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My 7 month old just got over a cold and this is what I did for her:

* Put her to sleep in one of her old car seats so she was reclining. If you can do this I would use pillows under the crib mattress or something like that to elevate her head.
    * Baby vicks and the Johnson's Baby Bubble Bath for Colds
    * Gave her pedialyte before bed instead of formula so it wasn't gunkier in her throat (think about how much worse milk makes it for you when you are congested)
    * Out dr recommended a 1/3 of a tsp of PediaCare Nighttime Cough medicine at bedtime but I would not give you kid any medicine without a doctor's OK
    * Cool mist humidifier
    * Saline drops for her nose and I'd use the nose sucker every morning when she got up to get rid of as much of the gunk as possible

If its a croupy cough (sounds like a hound barking), cold air helps.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009