Ok, not sure if you saw it

in the Just for Fun category, but I've thought a while and need to add to it...

I don't want my MIL and FIL at my babyshower. They're invited, and I'd never un-invite or just not invite them, but is it wrong of me to not want them there? They steal the spotlight, and if they don't have it, they'll cause a scene (could be dramatic or even frightening) to get it!

Not to mention, MIL has taken it upon herself to invite her friends... friends I don't even know... and MIL's other DIL is the one supplying everything!!!

What should I do?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• lol, I don't have any real advice cause obvioulsy that's going to be an akward situation no matter what you say or do...um just be glad you'll be getting more gifts?? GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I hate people like that. Just let them come make fools of themselves and enjoy the free stuff you'll be getting from all the people you don't know!
    nowhinning

Answer by nowhinning at 11:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well, honestly, the shower is for the people giving the shower and not for you. You get to leave with the gifts, but in exchange you have to tolerate the people. Thank goodness for internet shopping now. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'm sorry. I have a mil like that too. They suck. Maybe change the time to a time you know she can't come. Or let her know that you dont have enough of (insert food, party favor of choice here) to accomodate her friends, and it is her responsibility to un-invite them. If everyone does show up, I hope they behave for your sake, I am sorry.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You'll just have to grin and bear it. My mil did the same, with inviting people I didn't know to my shower, but in the end I met some pretty great people and ended up with lots of stuff that I needed.

What does your husband say about it? Does he know how you feel?
    Anonymous

• i would reschedule the shower and pick another date then not invite her
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Girl, Tell your adviser that you want to be on a pedastal, even if that means bringing in a small stage ! And give everone assigned seats, put her and her kind together. Get the info. you need, tell her in your condition, you dont want any surprises or drama!!!
    Anonymous

• I wasnt even offered a shower by my MIL or none of his familly, we live around them, not mine or my friends, You know it never realy crossed my mine till after the fact, guess I was'nt expecting it anyway! My first two were wonderful, but MIL and FIL i tried not to notice.
    Anonymous

• DH knows, and agrees, he doesn't want them there either... we're doing a couple's shower, so both of us will be there, (it's in OKC, and I'm from KS and don't really know anyone there except a few from church, etc. so this is mainly for us and his friends.)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have a MIL just like that. She was invited to all 3 of my showers and didn't show up to any of them and I was so glad. She always acts like an idiot and people laugh at her and she doesn't even realize it, so I just have learned that when she's around, not to feed the beast, if you know what I mean. I have also realized that other people think she's an idiot too and think she's just as dumb as I do and don't pay any attention to her at all. I.E. Laugh behind her back. My best advice it to just go with the flow and be glad for the extra gifts and make sure that you have a few people who know how she is to play interference so she doesn't get the attention she's seeking. Good luck and try to have a great shower anyway.
    Anonymous