Dry-clean only?

UGH! I'm so mad at myself for not thinking to look at the tags before buying!

About a month ago my husband and I bought a new bed. Of course since we got a new bed, I needed a new sheet set to go with it ;) We never really had anything nice before so I went all out and bought this beutiful set that I'm regretting now. The comforter says dry-clean only! I have to be able to wash this thing from time to time. I'm assuming it says to dry-clean because it's satin-like material. Would it be ok to wash it on the gentle cycle and dry on low-heat?

I feel like a moron and can't take it back now.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I depends on what the fabric is. If it contains fabric that can't get wet, I would tumble it in the dryer like you said and spot-clean it.

If it contains fabric that can get wet, I would either hand wash it in the sink or put it on a delicate settings in the washer and then tumble it dry. I have had a lot of dry-clean only bedding that I've washed this way.

Those methods are not going to remove the dust mites from your comforter however. Dust mites in small quantities are fine but dust mites (remember there's thousands of them on every inch and they poop up to 20 times per day) that are able to thrive because something hasn't been properly cleaned can cause eye and nose irritations and allergies. If you have a large freezer-chest that your comforter can fit into, you can put the comforter into a large garbage bag and freeze it for 24 hours to effectively kill all of the dust mites.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Clearing up the fact that we clean our sheets more often than once a month but only do the comforters every so often so they last longer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• (you can also freeze your sheets this way before or after washing them if your washer doesn't get hot enough to remove all of the dust mites). We wash our sheets once per week and our comforters once every other week and it has improved our allergies (and the condition of our skin too!).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009