Do you use your dishwasher?

I don't use mine. I think it's a horrible waste of water. I stopped using it about a year ago. When I did use it I always found myself having to pre-rinse things before putting them in or washing things a second time after I took them out. It's bad enough the dishwasher wastes so much water and electricity on it's own, but then to not even do the job 100% either...I just think it's pointless and wasteful. I wondered if anyone else who had a dishwasher refused to use theirs or if your home didn't already have one installed simply refuse to even buy one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, havent used it in several months now. It didnt clean decently anyway and now we save some on water and electricity.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Dishwashers actually save more water than doing them by hand - if you use it correctly.

I only use my dishwasher when he hasn't had a hard day at work ;)
    Anonymous

• I really dont. Mine takes forever though, and like you, I have to prerinse everything, and wash again spometimes. If I had one that worked I would though. I really just need to upgrade, I hate doing dishes by hand!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• sounds like you may need a new dishwasher, they do save water. You only use it when it is full. For us is a couple of days to three.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I dont think it's a waist of water. I dont like to run dishwater in the sink and put all my dishes in it. I think it's nasty because you've got all the food and grease floating around in there from the dishes you've already washed. I wont eat in peoples homes that dont use a dishwasher. The dishes arent sanitized. You cant get dishwater that hot to kill germs. I just rinse them off a bit and we run ours about every other day. I dont mind paying an extra $5 a month to have sanitary clean dishes. Plus it's more time for me to spend with my kids.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I love having a dishwasher!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• OH MAN! It does sound like you could use a new one, Whirlpool makes a high efficiency line of them that save water, and these you don't have to prerinse or postwash. Ours is super quiet, and does a fantastic job!

Lately, due to home remodels, we've been putting switch plates and the glass globes from the light fixtures and ceiling fans in our house in there... it's amazing the things they can do! Plus, we wash all ballcaps in there too... for those of you with kids playing ball! Top shelf. Good secret!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I love my dishwasher. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i use it to store dishes ...
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well I live in base housing, and they do provide us with dishwashers but they are older models, and so they are not very efficient. I have to pre-rinse all my dishes, and they come out with stuff still on the plates and glasses, so now I am only using it do to pots and pans and silverware and such. I only run it when its full, about once a night, and I hand wash all the other dishes (plates, cups, and items that are too large for the dishwasher as well as my cast iron skillets). If I had one of the really nice ones I would probably use it more.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009