is it safe to eat oysters, and/or alaskan king crab legs during pregnancy?

my birthday was yestarday, and iv been wanting grilled/roasted oysters since it is the season to pick them from local public oyster beds (my moms picked them, not me... i just eat them!) (also note, i would never eat them raw... to me thats gross to even think about)
iv also been wanting to find and buy some alaskan king crab legs, they are expensive, hard to find, but delicious and def worth the money, in my opinion!
i havent read anything about either being harmful during pregnancy, iv ony read to watch how much you eat of shell fish.
have you heard anything or had any experiences with either.

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Is it safe to eat fish during pregnancy?
    You don't have to steer clear of all types of fish during pregnancy. The only ones you have to avoid outright are shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish. These fish are on the Food and Drug Administration's hit list because they contain high levels of a type of mercury called methylmercury that is known to be harmful to the nervous system of the developing baby.

Because smaller amounts of mercury can be found in other types of fish, the FDA recommends that pregnant women limit their weekly intake of fish to 12 ounces and that they choose from a wide variety of types of fish (as opposed to just eating tuna or salmon exclusively, for example).

Note: You can find out more about food safety during pregnancy by visiting the FDA's Food Safety site.
    Here is the website where I found this at, "http://www.parentsconnect.com/questions/eat_fish_while_pregnant.jhtml"

Good luck
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 12:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My OB also advised me to stay away from Tuna as well. Big game fish eat other fish right? So those kinds of fish have greater traces of mercury and other toxins in them because of all the other fish THEY eat.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 12:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Everything in moderation !!!

jrb9274

Answer by jrb9274 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I hope that it is safe. I live in the Pacific NW. I lived on crab and shrimp during my pregnancy. I think fish is to be avoided not shellfish. Why not just call the advice nurse to be sure. Then enjoy your yummy crab legs with a peace of mind.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009