why do some people equate being anti-war to being anti-supporting the troops?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because for many people the world is black & white, you are with us or against us. I've learned there are many shades of gray.

I support the troops in that I want them to have the best equipment, medical care and training available. I hope that every one who is sent to fight comes home safe and sound, and is well cared for if they are not. I have repeatedly contacted my representatives to let them know how I feel about this. I try to spread the word when our military is not treated the way I feel they should be. I thank them when I see them, which is pretty often since I live near an AFB. I support them in hoping they do accomplish their goal in Iraq and good does come out of it.

Still don't agree with the war in Iraq.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I dont know the answer to this, but I can relate. I have had several arguments with people explaining this exact same idea. I absolutely, 100% support a soldier that is going where he was told, and for reasons that he thinks are right. HE is not the one that decided to go (wherever). Its the people in charge that sent him there in the first place, that should be help accountable for such a terrible decision!!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 12:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• its silly.
    Anonymous

• I don't think that everyone who is anti-war is anti-troops. BUT, I HAVE met some anti-troop people, both on CM and in "real life".
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Same reason anti-abortionists don't support doctors who do them. You can't separate the job from the person who performs that job.
    JanMarie225

Answer by JanMarie225 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• CAUSE THEY ARE STUPID
    Anonymous

• First I donlt know anyone who is war hungry and just loves war.Just think it nessecary sometimes.Yes there are some who are not for our troops.Remember the 60's? alot got yelled at and their faces spat in upon return.We have people today who feel the same way.Some just express it in a more subtle way.

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I used to think without a doubt~that you could be anti-war but support the troops. Then someone who served, posted here on CM and asked how can you respect the troops and not support their mission, doesn't it make their purpose useless and couldn't it be translated to mean you are hoping their mission is a failure to prove their point that the war was wrong? Hoping policies fail/change/not implemented so we can AVOID war is one thing. Once we are engaged, encouraging failure to prove a point is another...
    Alas, I dunno. This is a complex question imo.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Because people are stupid.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have no clue. I've been a military wife for 10 years and have always been anti war but I "support the troops." They are just doing what they are being told. One would think that when you sign up to join the military and you are faced with war that it would be for a legitimate reason or declare war when there are absolutely no options left. There are many people like me in my community who have no clue why we ever went or why 7 years later we're still in Iraq. Not understanding the mission is a totally separate issue from supporting the military.

It's just hard to go to places like Arlington where you see headstones lined up as far as you can see and understand the purpose of war. Especially when a majority of the headstones belong to people under the age of 20.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009