car seat

my son will be 4 months old next friday, and he already weighs 20lbs. he is in an infant seat now, but the weight limit is only up to 22lbs, and im pretty sure hes already too tall for it. i plan on getting a convertible seat this week, but am worried because he cant sit up on his own yet and i dont know what im supposed to do about going shopping or out to eat. ive tried pushing the cart and holding him but 20lbs is a lot of weight to handle with a cart that never goes straight anyways. any suggestions??

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 12:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a carrier to go shopping and such (baby wear). And you will have to wait till he can sit up to go out to eat - sorry!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You get the convertible car seat for his safety. Most tilt back so it's fine he can't sit up. Get a carrier you wear for the grocery store till he can sit up and with going out to eat, deal with it. Either hold him or don't go.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Wow, you have a great big healthy boy huh? =) Congrats on your baby!! I know its hard, but he really needs to have a seat that fits him, and of course since he can't dit in a car seat facing forward until he is one year old, you will have to look for a convertible car seat (that changes from rear-facing to forward-facing). There are MANY on the market, and I am sure you will be able to find one that you like and is in your price range. You can always check craigslist, and ebay for carseats as well. Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 12:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You'll have to get a convertible carseat that can accomidate infants as well as toddlers for when he's older. Check the specifications on them before buying one to make sure it fits his specific needs. I have a BabyBjorn carrier for when I need to take him out somewhere. You can't put him in a sitting-up positiion until he can hold his head up, so unless you want to lay him across the seat in the booth at a restaraunt (which I wouldn't) you probably can't go.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• p.s. I got my daughter a Bumbo seat when she was about 4 months old, and hubby and I actually took it with us to a restaurant once. We just sat it in the booth with us, cause obviously she couldnt sit in the booster seat yet. It was no problem!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 12:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• nothing wrong wtih using the carrier at the restaurant or in the cart. Use the convertible car seat, then put baby in the carrier when outside of the car until he is uncofortable or sitting on his own. Consider bringing a small umbrella type stroller for diners in place of a high chair. They have smaller strollers that still offer support for baby while being compact. Just some ideas. Check out some of the booster seats. Some may offer what you need for the little one.
    Anonymous

• Use the convertible in the car, and the carrier everywhere else! Just because it's not safe for him to be in it as a car seat....you can still use it as a regular "seat" for him!!

Convertible seats still recline at 45 degrees rear facing so that's not even an issue.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• put a blanket around him to hold him up. when i went to the grociery store i would put a pack of whippies on one side of my baby and a pack of diapers on the other sideof her to told her up.
    Anonymous