Am I a bad mom because I wanna put my kids in daycare?

Cabominny

Asked by Cabominny at 12:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it takes a lot to go past being "just human" and into a being a bad mom. That doesn't mean your motives for wanting to use daycare aren't questionable or aren't the best decision however.

Daycare is a great resource for you to get some "me" time and get things done around the house. It is also a great time for children to interact with others the same age. There's nothing wrong with using daycare if you work or need some time to get things done around the house.

However, if you stay at home and are simply using daycare all the time to avoid parenting instead of spending quality time with your children; that is what I would find questionable. Especially if funds are low in your household and the daycare money could be better spent or saved somewhere else then I would say that daycare was wrong in that sense because you're unnecessarily wasting your family's money.

Daycare in itself is just fine.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No you're not a bad mom because you want your kids in daycare. It's a decision each one of us makes on our own and there is no right answer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Many people have to or decide to put their children in daycare. When my husband and I first started dating, he worked nights. He spent most days with his son, then my husband's mother would get him to bed when DH was at work. His day off, he would put his son into daycare so that he could clean house and pay bills and run errands. He did it one day a week and that really helped him out. The daycare was willing to take him once a week, it gave SS some social interaction, and gave DH a day to get all of his stuff done. He spent 6 days a week and two nights a week with him, so he was still getting lots of time with him. It was a great balance for everyone. Then he switched to days and I was working days and he went into daycare full time, but we still spent every night together as a family.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. If you need some time to get things done or work in or out of the home, daycare would probably be a great option for you. But if you are just wanted to put them in daycare to just get away from them I would say no.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Putting my child in daycare was the best thing for him, he's an only child and he doesn't have other kids to play with, it is preparing him for kindergarden, he's making friends, and he's learning so much. He really enjoys going, with me working 3rd shift it helps a lot as well because I can sleep while he's at school.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 1:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009