crosses on the side of the road??

how do you feel when you see a cross on the side of the road where someone has died? do you think that it is wrong or do you think that it is ok to put one up?
i am asking because atheist in Utah say that it is a religious thing and that they should not be put up.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 1:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It makes me sad everytime I see the crosses on the side of the road. I think that the families have a right to put them their. It is the last place that their loved ones were at. We have a lot of them in our area, well where I was raised anyhow. It just reminds all of us who are driving to be very catious, because it can happen to anyone of us at any given time..
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I feel sad for the families that have lost someone that way. I think it's fine for the families to put up crosses (or whatever else they may use) to remember their loved ones. Who are we to decide how someone should be memorialized?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Aren't they put there by families? If the gov't was putting them there, I could maybe see making that argument. Or I could see making the argument that they are potentially hazardous, as some drivers do find them distracting and anxiety-producing. But from a religious standpoint, no, I don't have a problem with them.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• A close friend of my mother's died 5 years ago and his cross is still where he was killed today. I think it is okay. Everytime I drive past that spot I think of him.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think the family/friends put them up, right? No government official. If they feel as though they can just put them up, why can't the athiest, just take it down? Are there any rules about these?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If I ever knew of someone disrespecting the families and taking down the cross they place in remembrance of their loved one I'd have a BIG issue with it. How RUDE!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have no problem with them as long as they aren't distracting. I always wondered what a non-Christian would put up instead of a cross. I guess just a post, maybe. There was one roadside memorial where we used to live in PA that was huge. It had a big sign and they had done of the grass on the side of the road with rocks and flowers and it said something like, "we love you mom" or something. It was huge, probably 5' across and I always found that a little much. Unless it was their own property (which I doubt).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Those are put there by the families and they have a right to do so. Its not infringing on anyone elses beliefs. I don't understand why everyone is so defensive of their belief system and goes out of their way to make sure no one is offending that belief system. I am a christian. A real Bible believing christian who loves God. I don't lobby for prayer in schools, or push for symbols in the courthouse or even expect anyone to share my beliefs. NO one can take it away from me and NO one can tell me how to raise my kids. I simply don't think that the Kingdom of God is built by religious symbols such as prayer in schools, no alcohol sales on sunday, nativity scenes or anything like it. The Kingdom is within me and I am a living symbol. I have that freedom.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think it's okay as long as people of all religions can put some sort of marker down.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I pray for the families involved. I think it's sad when the stuff is just left to decay. But as long is its not an unsafe situation and its allowed for everyone.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009