Moms with kids very very close together in age by birth, what are the

ups and downs financially and academically of such age kids? How many of us would have kids really close together in age if we could go back in time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are close in age and while it's definately not easy, I prefer it that way. They are all into the same toys, games, and activities. When we go on little trips to special places, they are all interested.

Financially, I don't think it would have effected me any different if I waited 5 years between kids. You will still end up spending the same money.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My first 2 children are 13 months apart. While it was hard in the beginning, I have found a groove in it. They are each others best friends, (one boy and one girl) they play together, and have taught each other many things. My son (oldest) is working on potty training and now my daughter is interested, he has taught her many words, etc. They LOVE to play together, and my daughter is miserable when he gets to leave and she has to stay home.
    The drawbacks for me were...2 in diapers, the hospital bills that came too closely together, (even with good insurance) the birthday parties being so close, etc.
    BUT--if I had it to do all over again, I would in a heartbeat. We are now expecting our 3rd. He/She will be born just before my son turns 3 and my daughter turns 2...now I am wondering how that will go.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Mine aren't super close, I have them 2 years apart, and then a gap of 4 yers and then again 2 years apart. Having 2 in diapers sucks, but hand me downs for clothes are good. Buying school supplies and school pictures is hard. I am having a problem with my oldest right now too, cause my 5 yo is gifted and doing my 7 yo work from school, it is very frusterating for my 7yo but what can I do tell my 5yo to not be so smart? They are good friends being thsat close too. I did have a problem with other people thinking that my 5 yo needs to be on a level of maturity with my 7 yo, but we didnt expect the older one to do those things when he was 5, so that wa tough. On my side though I wouldnt change a thing, I love that they are that close.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3 (there is 15 months, 13 months and 3 1/2 years between them). Financially...it was rough at first with 3 in diapers but now we are down to just the 6yo wearing pull-ups at night so that cost is mostly gone (the youngest doesn't wear them any more). We haven't hit the teen "eat you out of house and home" stage yet, though.
    Personally, I liked having them close in age and would do it again. I notice my oldest 3 have so much in common and do everything together, leaving the youngest to entertain herself. And because of that the youngest has grown up way faster then they did. She will actually be 3 next month and already talks and acts like she is 4 and does everything her older siblings does so she can keep up. It's crazy. If I could have I would have had another baby right after her so she would have a sibling close in age to her, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009