choosing the right church for baby

I grew up catholic and i'd like to have my baby baptized (sp?) when she's like 6 months old. Only problem is i'm going to be a single mom and i know there are churches out there that don't condone (sp?) single mothers. Did any mommy have this same problem trying to find a church that would babtize their baby? I live in Minnesota in saint paul so preferably somewhere within the twin cities.

discoveringme89

Asked by discoveringme89 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im assuming you dnt attend church anymore? my advice is start going to church again find one you like and get to know the priest. your going to want to be a member of the church if you want your little one baptized.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is a church in this world that would keep you from coming or condemn you or your child because your're single. 50% of all marriages end up in divorce and the divorce rate is exactly the same in the Christian community as it is in the rest of the world. If a church doesn't want to baptise your child because of the fact that you're single, that is a church I would steer clear of because that isn't right and that's not what the church is about.

They may refuse to baptise your child if you do not attend regularly. Baptism serves the purpose of having the congregation promise to help you raise your child in whatever faith/religion to follow. They can't do that if they don't know you or if you're not planning on attending regularly. Many churches require that you take classes to become a member before they will baptise your child. (cont).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would just call around and ask the policies of churches in the area. Explain your situation. If I'm not mistake Catholic churches are against birth control and abortion so I'm sure they would rather you be a single mother getting you baby baptised than not have your baby at all.

It would probably help if you actually attend the church as well. gl
    Anonymous

• (cont.) few churches appreciate it when you just want to use their facility and their pastor (for a wedding, baptism, funeral etc.) when you're not ever planning on attending again.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I know for a fact that the church i attend won't baptize my baby. I do attend church-thank you and I was just wondering about what other moms have done. Obviously i'm trying to find another church to get her baptized. I guess i'll just ask some one else.
    discoveringme89

Answer by discoveringme89 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009