Teen Moms..

Do you think its harder that your a teen mom or do you think its easier? How did your family feel when you had your baby young?-or-If your an older parent, how do you view teen moms?

((Please no bashing...))

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• i was 17 when i had my first baby. It was hard no doubt i was still in school trying to finish, had to work because someone had to buy things for baby so on top of being a new mommy i was in school, and working pt. My parents were pretty darn upset the first few weeeks after i told them but as time went on they began to relize i was going to need alot of support. Once they held my son i think it was instant love. they were supportive as parents but made sure i was the parent of my baby. Im now 25 and my little guy is a happy healthy growing smart 7 year old and im just now expecting my second. Im sure it will be hard this time to but this time im married to a wounderful man, we both have good jobs i was able to finish school and go to college so now all i have to do is work and raise my children. I dont have all the extra bourdens to. I dont advice anyone to have a baby as a teen its hard work.
    Anonymous

• I am not currently a teen mom, but I was...oh about 14 yrs ago. I think its so much harder. Its not about the work involved. Its about the emotions. You just can't see beyond your own little world and your own perspective at that age. I even struggle with it now in my thirties. Its not good to grow up WITH your child. We are supposed to grow up BEFORE your child so that you will be equipped with the emotional stability to handle all that life throws at you. Raising a teen is just hard...plain ol hard! and I wish I had a few more years on me. I couldn't possibly know this at 17, but I can see it now. I feel like our kids deserve more than that and its not about the nurturing and care of a baby. Most teens can do that easily if they have to...its about SO much more than that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Its a mixed emotion when I see teen moms. My cousin was a mom at 17 and she is great at it! But, its hard not to judge a teen mom...NOT for her being a mom or even how she got that way...but b/c I see so many of them not being a responsible parent. Leaving the baby with their parents so they can party all the time or letting thier kids behave badly tends to further the teen mom sterotype...But then again, can I really blame teens for acting like teens? And how do I know why they had/kept the baby? Maybe it wasn't their decision, it was thier parents. And then shouldn't I be looking to the parents of that teen mom to continue to raise her and then instruct her on how to raise the baby (but still letting her raise her own child)? It can be a tricky situation. But, in general, as long as you are doing your best to be a good mom, then thats all I care about.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009