Is it wrong to have your kids "double up" in bedrooms?

Back in the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family days, it was common for kids of all age ranges to share bedrooms. How about now? Is it wrong to expect your children to share bedrooms? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think so. I mean as long as it's boys in a room together or girls in a room together. My 2 boys have always shared a room, probably will until we move again. This has been by choice so far, up til now. Now my oldest is 12 and my other son is 10, so they are starting to have different friends so they don't always want brother around when they are playing with their friends. But i don't see anything wrong with it as long as the kids are ok with it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Heck NO. Why would it be? Because we want little johnny and little susie to be individuals and have the world and all that we didn't have? I think its wonderful for kids to share rooms. Either out of necessity or just because. Kids develop to be very good friends and very close when they share rooms. I have figured out that all 4 of my kids having their own rooms is too much to keep up with. Yes, they do have the option of that, but we make our boys share and probably always will. I wish my girls would but they are just too far apart in age. I wished I had had a sister to share a room with. I feel like I missed out on a lot. I do feel that boys and girls need to be separated at some point and even if possible have their own bathrooms. We are building a house in the future and we are going to have a girls bathroom and a boys bathroom. I don't want my kids sharing bathrooms. Just my preference.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The idea that it would be considered wrong is absurd, really. Why not? I shared with my sister until my brother got a bedroom made in the basement (she is 6 years older than me). It's a good experience for kids. They're going to have to bunk up in college too. These are healthy, normal things!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. My boys have their own rooms now b/c when my youngest son was born my oldest was 5 and I thought it would be too disruptive to him. Now they are 8.5 and 3.5 and both just go right to sleep. We had to buy my youngest a bed last year and my oldest's bed needed to be replaced, so we bought bunk beds in case we decide in the future to have them share.

That said my sis and I are 18 months apart and shared and couldn't stand each other and fought all the time for most of our child/teen years, so it makes me nervous. lol
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Anyone saying it is wrong needs to get knocked down a peg or two!! My children begged to not be separated and to sleep together!! For some families it is financial. To have their *own* space- well until VERY recently no one except the wealthiest families could afford that. Often the whole family shared one room. It is still that way in many parts of the world- and they are people too! just not Americans...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I was raised with three older sisters and we shared one bedroom. My brothers shared a room and my parents had their own bedroom. Once we were out of the basinette we were in a crib in a room with our siblings.
    My cousin shared a room the girls had a bunk bed and the boys had a bunk bed until my uncle could afford to add on to their house then each sex got their own room to share. All four were born with in five years so the mixed sexes didn't matter.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My girls share a room and the boys share a room.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Certainly not! If you have the space for everyone to have a bedroom of their own, great. If not, that's fine too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have 2 boys (ages 2 and 1) and they currently share a room b/c we only have 2 bedrooms. In the future though, even if we have 3 bedrooms, I will let them share a bedroom and turn the other room into the play room. They really seem to enjoy sharing a room and often "talk" to each other at night before going to sleep. When they are older, if we have the room and they want to stop sharing then they can.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Mine are just turned 3 and about to turn 5, they started sharing a room when they were 1 and 2. Its kind of hard right now bc my youngest has a different sleep pattern than my oldest so he can keep him up at night for like the first 30 minutes or so, so now i have to put my youngest to bed after they both fall asleep, sigh. Im thinking about moving my youngest out, idk
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009