asking again

Do you think it matters if a child who is black and white is growing up with only white parents and a white family????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope because not only parents shape their children but environment does also. By living with white parents they are mostly going to learn the culture of the parents but you know when they go to school its a whole nother ballgame...as long as love is in the household and the parents try to be open about the other half of the child race {which is black} than it really doesnt matter.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I've wandered this too. I have a friend who is white and has a biracial daughter (black & white) and she now has a white husband and they have a new baby who is also white. All of their family is white also. So I always wandered if the child would feel like the odd ball when she starts to realize that she is different. Also she won't know any of her african american culture because I know they aren't going to teach her anything about it! I think as long as they are at least taught about their other culture and maybe even allowed to visit with their family members who aren't white so they will know where they come from, then the will be fine and not feel like the odd ball.
    Anonymous

• I think theres going to be challenges for sure, but I think this is an opportunity to help build resolve and determination in this child that he/she might need for the future. Any situation can be dealt with if we want to or we have to. All families have issues that have to be dealt with and this will just be that childs issue to deal with. I don't think its detrimental to a child at all. It will help shape how he sees the world...in a good way. hopefully.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i think it only matters if people make it matter...love is love. mommy is mommy, the color of someones skin has notthing to do with those 3 am fevers when alittle hand reaches out for comfort. Or when someone comes in with a bloody knee that needs a kiss....:o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009